HOW I GET AROUND FOOD-CENTERED EVENTS
Friday, July 27, 2012
We were asked on our FSC Red, White & Blue Challenge to blog about how we get around food-centered events, and how can we make healthy choices without "missing out" on all the usual foods or "less-than-diet-friendly" food choices at these gatherings.
Those are a good couple of questions! I obviously haven't totally mastered that yet, but I'm working on it!
Here are a few things I've learned:
1) EAT SOMETHING FILLING LIKE SOUP OR VEGETABLES (FIBER) BEFORE YOU GO TO A FOOD EVENT SO YOU'RE NOT STARVING!
2) IF IT'S A "BUFFET" TAKE A SMALL AMOUNT OF WHAT YOU LIKE - JUST LIMIT YOURSELF TO ONE PLATE, SIT AWAY AND EAT - DON'T STAND AND GRAZE AT THE TABLE....YOU'LL OVEREAT FOR SURE!
3) NEVER DEPRIVE YOURSELF OF SOMETHING YOU WANT TO EAT - YOU'LL WANT IT EVEN MORE AND OVEREAT IT. JUST HAVE A BITE, SHARE IT WITH SOMEONE, OR FIND A GREAT SUBSTITUTE SO YOU DON'T FEEL DEPRIVED!
4) OFFER TO BRING A FOOD TO CONTRIBUTE THAT YOU CAN EAT!
5) FIND OUT THE MENU AHEAD OF TIME AND PREPARE YOUR PLAN OF CALORIES TO ACCOMODATE!
6) GO TO HAVE FUN - IT'S NOT ABOUT THE FOOD....IT'S ABOUT SOCIALIZING!