Our Live Healthy E-book offers a “Women’s Healthcare To-Do List” of items to do every day, month, annually and beyond.
* Exercise 30 minutes a day.
* Protect yourself from the sun - use sunscreen and dress appropriately.
* Watch your fat - no more than 25-35% of your calorie intake
* Eat sources of protein such as lean or low-fat meat, poultry, fish, dry beans, eggs, and nuts
* Eat 5 to 9 servings of fruits and vegetables daily.
* At least half of all of the grains eaten should be whole grains.
* Consume 3 cups of fat-free or low-fat milk or equivalent milk products per day.
* Be aware of your alcohol intake.
* Be aware of your stress level.
* Perform an oral cavity self-examination - gums, teeth, lips, tongue.
* Perform a full-body self-examination for unusual moles or other skin conditions. Have your physician examine moles annually, or immediately for suspicious growths.
* Be aware of your weight - check your BMI (body mass index).
- One exam surprisingly not included was a breast exam
You can find step-by-step directions @ www.webmd.com/breast-can
* Have your blood pressure and cholesterol levels checked.
* Have a dental checkup once or twice a year. Have vision and hearing checked annually.
* After age 50: have a physical examination by your physician.
* Beginning at age 55, get a flu shot.
* Talk with your doctor about when you should have a mammogram and/ or a clinical breast exam.
* Have a pelvic examination and Pap test every 2 years, or as recommended by your physician.
* Get a tetanus/diphtheria(td) booster every10 years.
* After age 20: every 5 years have a full lipid profile test for cholesterol and triglycerides.
* After age 30, have a physical examination every 2 years
* After age 40, have a physical examination every 2 years.
* After age 50: have a fecal occult blood test every year, OR have a flexible sigmoidoscopy every 5 years, OR have a double contrast barium enema every 5 to 10 years, OR have a colonoscopy every 10 years.
* After age 65: get the pneumococcal vaccine
Good advice as we become "AWAKE! ALIVE! AWARE! and Appreciative of ALL that IS".