Haven't blogged in like FOREVER! I feel so rusty! lol
I wanted to sleep in today since all week I haven't slept soundly or feel I had enough. Got up at 6am today and couldn't go back to sleep so I decided to work on my BLC team's weekend challenge. GOOOO....Bombshells!
Sorry couldn't help myself, ha!
I've been wanted to blog about this new 21 day program with a personal trainer I started a week ago. A co-worker had gotten a groupon and was going to give her mom this as a gift, then she thought it would be too difficult for her and sold it to me. It was a really good deal and I just couldn't pass on it.
The program is called 'Awaken the Warrior Woman Within.' You meet with a trainer 3x/wk for 30 min one-on-one and then you do on your own 30 min of cardio. I was so nervous for the 20 min assessment not knowing what to expect. The trainer was also a young guy and that didn't help me.
Anyway, he tested how many push-ups I could do, sit-ups, did a seated leg press, burpees and did different inclines on the treadmill to see how my heartrate reacted and get zones for me for my cardio workout. I couldn't believe days afterwards I was sore from that! I had been doing cardio workouts with zumba, and home dvds but I hadn't worked on strength training for awhile.
The first session was tough and I couldn't believe the stuff I was doing like push-ups with my knees on a step and hands on 2 weighted medicine balls, planks with my feet up on the wall, squats with shoulder presses holding 10lb dumbbells, side-planks and lifting a dumbbells sideways, pushing a big plate across the gym floor in mountain climber position. Holy cow!
After the first week's sessions I was sore, like really SORE!!
Stairs were the hardest to do, I had to go down the steps sideways, I thought about my patients and when I teach them to use the stairs. Maybe I should have tried going down the steps going on my butt like we show some patients, lol!! That would have been a sight especially if my husband and kids saw that!
The scale did reflect the inflammation in my muscles by showing a gain and then not losing but I know my muscles were retaining water. That may happen when you start weight training or any new physical activity your muscles are not used to. You are still losing inches/fat in the process so you just have to trust yourself and continue eating wisely and on track.
I really was nervous that first week working with the trainer but now I look forward to our sessions and feel so empowered afterwards. I can't believe that my 45 year-old self is doing some of those exercises AND with weights?!
My clothes are starting to feel looser and I could fit into these jeans that I had comfortably where before they were skin tight and I had major muffin top, no more muffin top now!! SP oughta make a muffin emoticon, lol. I also have to keep a food journal and hand it in every week to have a nutritionist they have check it out so now I'm really more accountable, gulp! The program also recommends carb cycling which I haven't strictly been doing since I love to eat lots of fruit in the summer but I find it does help when I do.
So, during my BLC summer break I plan to:
1. Continue with weight training. I doubt I can afford seeing the trainer, it probably will be too expensive. However, I think I've learned alot that I can apply myself, dust off the weights I have in my basement and put them to good use!
2. Keep working hard and staying motivated with the BLC contest I have going on at work. We are halfway through the 12 weeks and I'm so far in 2nd place. I have been sending pics of my meals and texting to a co-worker and it has been helping both of us staying accountable and motivated.
3. Cardio workouts-at least 5x/wk doing Zumba on Mondays, my elliptical machine, walking/jogging around the lake I live close. (hopefully I can buy a used treadmill and continue the interval training with inclines walking as the trainer showed me)
4. Eat wisely and on track. Summer is hard but since it's also more hot I feel I'm drinking more water and keeps me more in check.
5. Doing the SAC! I have been loving the support and challenges with my Bombshells team and we have formed teams for this summer challenge before the next BLC round.
Sorry this was too long but I tend to ramble a bit. I will be writing up a blog after the 21 day program I'm doing. Wish I had taken some photos of myself but I don't know why I am so sensitive lately of having my photo taken.
Hopefully that will pass....maybe part of mid-life feelings but that's another story I will spare blogging about!
Wishing all our sparkies a GREAT summer!!
What are your summer plans to stay on track with achieving your goals?!!