Friday, July 13, 2012
Accepting yourself is a major shift in thinking! Here are some changes that I am experiencing:
1) I realized that so much of my motivation/goals came from "fixing" myself or "proving" myself! It is almost like starting over with my sense of direction and purpose. At first I felt lost. aimless and a little depressed. Now, I am starting to waken to the notion that this is a great opportunity. I am working on some goals that are appropriate for me.
SparkPeople is big on goals, so I just might have to try that!
2) I feel calmer and more clear-headed. I never expected that. I don't take family members behavior personally. I am more accepting of others. I am more appreciative of the good and less critical. But I find myself more definite about steering clear of what I call toxic people and avoiding social situations that seem like a waste of time. It is easier for me to sort things out and make decisions. I find that I am also calmer about eating. I don't seem to be as hungry.
3) Regarding my appearance and trying to fix what I could and let go of the rest---
Had eyes checked with no significant prescription change. Contacts won't work with my Rx.
Tried on frames and decided the ones I had looked best anyway. Done with that.
Trying the Neutrogena Anti-aging products and Neutrogena dermabrasion device.
These products get two thumbs up! I will continue with these and report again.
Crest whitening toothpaste seems to be doing well and are part of my routine.
Made a decision to let go of trying to grow fingernails. Will groom them and use clear and get over it. Decided I will show off my feet. Decided I have beautiful feet!
Regarding hair....kept trying to figure out why it wouldn't grow. It finally dawned on me
(duh) that I wouldn't have two inches of darker roots from highlights growing out if it wasn't growing!
Rate of growth is about 1/2 inch in 4 months and that is normal. Realized that if it wasn't getting longer, it must be breaking off! Well gosh, it did seem pretty dry, brittle, and sun-damaged. Did a little reading about hair products. I bought and used a restructuring conditioner by L'Oreal, big green tube, sulfate free, $5.97. Wow..that stuff is amazing. Highly recommend that. Hair looks 10 years younger. Am going to stay away from hair salons and take care of it myself. Will report
4) Regarding health/fitness... Maintaining 5 lb. weight loss. Actually, I think I lost an additional 1.5 pounds.
Feel like I am gaining muscle. Arms, shoulders, and chest look like they have muscles.
I think getting tan helps here (I'm a boater, don't purposely tan).
Did notice that waist went up slightly. Hmmm......at first this kind of threw me off.
Did a little research and think it's possible that all the crunches may have been building muscle around waist. As an experiment I am going to stop crunches and start an isometric exercise called the "Vacuum."
I am loving the strength training. FOR ME, best to work body parts 2X week (not 3).
I think it lowers blood pressure. Mine has gone down to 103/69.
I had gotten away from line dancing for a couple weeks, but went yesterday to the class that I teach and was reinvigorated about it.
My body image is definitely improving. I can actually look in the mirror and see some things I like.
5) Re aging in general......this is kind of hard for me. I feel as good as I did when I was MUCH younger.
I read an expert article today and he said saying something like......"40 may be the new 30, but 60 is not the new 25." There is truth to that and I need to consider that when I make goals. Best not to overdo.
I am very grateful for my health. I do have a little trouble finding my niche and figuring out goals. I am very grateful that I am not your "average" senior, but sometimes feel like I am in uncharted territory without a compass. I'm working on this. See # 1
6) Regarding eating... continuing with eating lots of fruit and veggies, lots of fluids,
high quality protein. Still into shakes with frozen fruit and either Slim Fast or whey powder.
Seem to be satisfied with smaller quantities. Avoiding fried foods, nuts, crunchy snack food, sugary anything, white flour products.