Although I have been absent from Sparkpeople for quite awhile now, I haven't thrown my healthy lifestyle out the window and I have been very busy! Sparkpeople is still my homepage when I get online, but my lifestyle has changed drastically since I took on the responsibility of caring for grandchildren over 3 months ago. I just found myself empathizing so much more with young mothers who claim they can't find the time to track, exercise, make themselves a priority etc; It really is much harder than I ever realized!
That being said, I am still quite pleased with maintaining my weight even though I HAVE NOT had any "dedicated" exercise. I rarely SIT DOWN and when I do it's not for long. There has been no gym time, and no walks (too pooped at the end of the day), and the beginning of the day is full of getting my 91 yr. old bedfast MIL awake, cleaned & fed.
Since I am homebound and can't be idle (not in my DNA), I decided it was a great time to redo my kitchen cabinets. It had been 12 years since I had painted them a deep burgandy. Prior to me painting them 12 years ago they were a deep country blue. Check this out:
Prior to the country blue they were white. Needless to say, I knew going in that I was going to have to sand all this old paint off and begin over. I didn't know what I would find underneath all that paint - but I was pleasantly surprised!
Can you see that beautiful woodgrain? Once I discovered that - I decided I wanted to clear coat or at least white wash them...so I wouldn't lose the beautiful grain. Unfortunately, as I continued to sand - I discovered way to many imperfections in the old cabinets to do so.
My project began on Memorial weekend dedicated to my "spare time" LMBO! What's that?
Just watching the grandsons 4 days a week, I am working 40 hours a week. That doesn't count taking care of Granny or my house or the extra cabinet work!
Long story short - my DH helped me finish up. My goal was to be done by this past weekend because we are leaving town on Thursday for 5 days of respite. We finished Saturday. I was painting the last of the doors on the patio (it's covered) in the rain, while he put the hinges and knobs on and hung them. Here's a few more shots of the work in progress:
We are talking 24 doors & 3 drawers + all the framework. We primed two coats and painted one coat. Since I had no intention of changing the wallcoverings anytime soon - we chose the color based on that.
Here's the finished project: Our cabinets above our washer and dryer:
The sink side:
The stove side:
Our home is an old brick home with a very old kitchen. We didn't have the finances to hire anyone or do our dream renovation, so this old Galley kitchen became my DIY project: Here's a parting shot:
I haven't gotten an estimate of what it would have cost to hire someone to do it, but we spent around $400, not including our sander we used.
Now, it's off to my daughters on Thursday for some much needed downtime. We will be parked at her dining room table to scrapbook - no cooking, no cleaning while the hubbies chat, watch movies or whatever else strikes their fancy.