I'm making a pledge to come back and be active on Spark. I know that it's something that works for me when I'm trying to be mindful of working out, weight loss and getting into a habit. It's worked for the past 4 years that I've been on here (crazy!) so I'm going to get back in the habit.
2012-2013 is a huge year for me. From this July 1 until next July 1, I will:
- Graduate from my master's program (if all goes according to plan!)
- Turn 30!
- Get MARRIED to my fabulous fabulous soul mate and partner
Lately, I haven't been working out. I've been staying at about the same weight as I usually am (give or take a 3-4 pounds) but my inches have gone way up. I'm not happy in this body, am uncomfortable, my clothes are tight and I notice that my self-talk is a LOT nastier when I'm not working out. I know that getting out of the routine is just habitual, so I'm pledging a 28 Day Workout streak for the month of July. I know that getting myself motivated is what works for me and if I can stick with it, it will help me to feel and look better.
I took a look at my weight loss report on Spark today and it's so funny how I've yo-yoed with these 15 pounds in the past 4 years. Last year after my surgery, I was really focused and got down to my lowest ever of 175. Now I'm up around 188-190, which is where my body stays when I don't workout. It's definitely not my happy weight though! "Experts" say that my body should be somewhere in between 130-168 for my height. I think I'd be happy in the 150-160's, but since I've never been there, I have no idea!
Another reason that I want to feel and look better is because of our wedding - 6/22/13! I have less than a year to feel and look great. This is a big motivator for me because I usually dislike pictures of myself. I look at it and point out my flaws in a heart beat, usually thinking I look fat or pointing to a "roll" or acne or something that I think detracts from the picture. I really, really, really don't want to look at wedding pictures of myself for the next 50 years and think "ugh" or "wow, I look so happy but I wish I didn't have bat wings while holding up my bouquet like that." Of course, a lot of this is mental as well - and I'm trying to address that too.
I'm writing this blog to remind myself what works for ME. It might not work for you since everyone is different, but this is what helps me when I focus and lose weight:
1. Checking in on Spark
2. Tracking workouts
3. Keeping a food log
4. NOT counting calories (this has never ever worked for me and makes my eating very disordered)
5. Making sure I eat X amount of servings of food groups (i.e. 5 servings of veggies per day)
6. Drinking TONS of water
7. Being mindful about and limiting processed foods and carbs (especially sweets!)
8. Eating far more protein (lean meat, greek yogurt, small amounts of cheese) than I would if I weren't being mindful and planning my meals
9. NOT going on a specific diet or excluding food groups (this leads to bingeing and disordered eating for me)
10. Packing my gym bag with me to go straight to the gym after work
11. Loading my IPod with new workout tunes!
12. Using a heart rate monitor (this will be my reward for 28 days of workouts)
13. Strength training! (Something I haven't been good about for years - about to change that!)
14. Running or other HIIT workouts
15. Using a tape measure and my clothes and not focusing just on pounds (I tend to shed inches pretty quickly and pounds less so)
These are just some things that I know work for me and have worked for me in the last 4 years. I am really determined this time to lose this weight and feel AMAZING. I don't want to look back at anything in this next year with regret or sadness and I don't want to feel bad about myself. I want to look and feel like I know I can!
It starts TODAY!