Don't SLEEP in the detours!
Saturday, June 30, 2012
This journey is far too long to spend the night in a detour. If you do, you may have trouble getting out of it in the morning. Then one day becomes two... two can become three.. well you know how it goes.
So let's say you blew off the gym today to go to the movies or take a nap. Maybe you went to a party and overindulged in pizza, beer and cake. Perhaps you binged on a bag of corn chips, chocolate candies or cookies. No matter what the detour was you don't have to overnight there.
FINISH the day back on the path to "Health & Fitness" and tomorrow will be easier traveling.
Here are a few ways to do that.
1) Track what you ate (yes you went over, but tracking now will not only educate you as to the poor choices you made but get you in the habit of tracking on other days so you WON'T go over.)
2) Take 10 minutes to march in place, do some strength training or dance to 3-4 songs. It's SOMETHING and the sooner you make exercise a daily habit the easier your journey will be.
3) Drink a glass of water. It's good for you body, will help with some of the sodium you likely ingested and helps you get into a water habit.
4) PLAN your meals for tomorrow. This may just be thinking of what your choices are and scribbling it on a piece of paper or it may be pre-tracking your meals and snacks.
5) Read some motivational articles and blogs on the Sparkpeople site. These will encourage you and inspire you to do better tomorrow.
6) Blog about your detour and make a plan for how to avoid it the next time you encounter that rough spot on the journey.
7) Affirm your plan and your commitment to it. Self-talk is a great way of keeping our motivation up and your eyes on the goal.
8) Set some daily goals for tomorrow. They can be simple (track your food, 20 minutes of cardio, drink 8 glasses of water).
9) Get a good night's sleep. Sleep is valuable on the journey.
10) Ask a friend/team to hold you accountable. When we have someone expecting us to journey with them we are less apt to get mired up in a detour!
So no matter what today was like... don't sleep in the detour!