50,000-59,999 SparkPoints 53,409

Yesterday's Foot Surgery - The Least Eventful Part of My Day

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Surgery went well yesterday. DH and I got to the office half an hour early - we were worried about traffic and getting lost - and they worked us in soon after we arrived. Very, very nice. The doctor numbed up my toes a lot more than in previous procedures - three times more in the left foot and four times in the right, to be precise. (The right needed an extra shot because he did it second.)

The only thing that I didn't like was that my feet dangled off the end of the table, which felt weird and made me nervous. The doc charged my husband with distracting me, who decided to tell me to think of this as practice for labor. Yeah, that worked as well as you think it did. emoticon Just more proof that men think totally different from us...

As usual, the nurse came to the rescue. She is a mother of twins herself, but hers are 18 now and going off to college in the fall. So we had a great talk about twins while the doctor did his thing and my husband watched. The nurse bandaged my feet up in pink gauze (win!), gave me some Tylenol, and sent us on our way. The whole thing took less than an hour.

The worst part was getting home. Work is equidistant from the clinic and home - which means the doctor is over 40 miles away. Leaving there on a Friday at 2 p.m., it should have taken about an hour. But DC traffic being what it is - the worst in the country, as measured by the time wasted just sitting by the average commuter - it took us two hours. And DH's gas-thirsty Volvo had less than a quarter of a tank. DH rarely stresses out, but I thought he was going to lose it - he was truly afraid we were going to run out of gas. That's bad on an average day, but when it's 102 (107 with the heat index) and you're trying to get your pregnant wife home from double foot surgery, it's a disaster. I couldn't walk to the nearest gas station if I wanted to and the heat could damage or even kill the twins. So I played a game on my cell phone while he tried to exit. We wound up at a nice gas station with a Starbucks next door. Nice, clean bathroom, full tank of gas, and cold drinks all around. (I had a decaf skinny mocha frappuccino with soy - 130 calories and lots of calcium and protein. That was the best choice I was capable of under the circumstances, lol.) The truly ironic thing was that traffic eased up as soon as we got back on the highway and I didn't even finish my mocha before we got home.

I ensconced myself on the couch for the rest of the day and things went great until just before bed, when DH saw on the news that we were about to get hit by a huge storm. This area is notorious for losing power. See above about why that would be a very bad thing under the circumstances. DH being an eagle scout, he made a list of all the hotels between here and Annapolis, which is 30 miles away, out of the storm's way, and on a different power grid. He was fully prepared to pack our bag and drive even to Baltimore to find an air conditioned hotel room if that's what it took. Bless him! Lucky for us we kept power - unlike 500,000 other customers of the same power company and our neighbors just a few blocks away. Another storm is supposed to blow through tonight, but at least we know the drill and are prepared. I might pack a bag after dinner: I figure if we're totally ready to go, we won't need to. But if we're not, we will. Darn Murphy anyway.

I finally showered and changed the dressing on my toes late today. Everything looks good - and barely hurts. Tylenol turned out to be sufficient. emoticon So I'm thrilled with how everything worked out.

Have a safe weekend everyone!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    Hurray! Good to know it all worked out. I just heard about the massive power outages yesterday. That's what I get for being out of the loop for my own vacation. Won't say it wasn't a nice break! Feel better soon!
    2021 days ago
    Oh hubby gets points for finding gas AND iced coffee!! emoticon Glad your tootsies are doing well and I pray the weather settles down so hubby can relax and you can continue to heal... emoticon
    2025 days ago
    The title I referred to was "Attitude is Everything" - thought it belonged right here, and actually it does. emoticon
    2025 days ago

    Comment edited on: 7/1/2012 2:45:54 PM
    This account has made my weekend, which is saying a lot 'cause it's Canada Day with a holiday and all.

    What a terrific tale you tell, JJ!! Wow, if ever a blog illustrated the title "Attitude is Everything" to perfection, THIS is the one -- what a day, what a woman, what a couple, what good humour and forebearance. (Gimme more of those, Universe, please. And toss in a latte like the one SHE had?)

    Love it. And you.

    Fab that the feet are now mending from much-needed repairs. You and the twins will enjoy being fleet of foot before long, eh.

    hugs, and happy smiles -- with thanks for this uplifting slice of your life.

    2025 days ago

    Comment edited on: 7/1/2012 2:45:35 PM
    Glad to hear your surgery went well, and that you made it home safe and sound. Hope all is well with the weather in your area!

    2025 days ago
    So glad it all went well!!! I'm a nurse and that is the only think that has ever bothered me is when I watched them do surgery on my mom's toes! So your husband will be great in the labor room!! Glad you came out of the storm OK- my son was in Baltimore for 2 quarters interning and is glad to be in Seattle this summer since its been so hot!
    Stay cool and safe and don't over do it on your feet, OK? emoticon
    2026 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

More Blogs by JENJESS48