Where I'm headed with this info...
Saturday, June 30, 2012
So, blogging, tracking and visiting with Sparkfriends this week was illuminating.
I had some great advice form KATETK on my last my blog. Just take one day and make it successful. Then, try to take the next day and the next. The consistency you build on is where the success will come. Thank you for that reminder!
I also discovered that the deprivation rules I impose on myself bring out the teenager in me and make me rebel in an unhealthy way. I spent this week trying to cut out alcohol (unsuccessfully) and sugar (a little better) and found myself craving and indulging in them more. The truth is that I love to have a small glass of wine and a plate of appetizers with my partner each night to unwind from the day. And, I do love a sweet treat now and then. Depriving myself of these only makes me angry and rebellious.
And, after evaluating my nutrient levels, it became clear that I'm carrying fat because I eat fat. Whoa, baby. My calorie levels were high, but my fat gram levels were outrageous. It may have been healthy fat from nuts, avocados, lean protein and olive oil, but fat it was.
I also don't handle heat well. As with most of the US, we're in the middle of a very hot drought. It makes me lethargic and exercise nearly impossible. I need to get to bed by 9pm so I can rise and do some light activity in the cooler early morning hours.
This weeks goals:
1. Keep fat grams to 40 or less.
2. Keep red wine intake to 2 or less 4oz glasses a night.
3. Allow myself one or two sweet desserts this week
4. Functional strength training three times this week (body weight x pushing, pulling, bending, sitting up, getting up/down from the floor, lifting.)
5. 60 minutes of low impact activity a day - commute by bike as much as possible - walk with my partner - get into the swimming pool at the Y on Sunday.
One successful moment at a time, friends.