South Beach Diet - Day 4 in Review
Thursday, June 28, 2012
Wow, what a difference a new ingredient can make!
First, my menu for the day:
- 2 Eggs, Scrambled, with...
- 2 servings oscar meyer ham
- .25c reduced far cheddar cheese
- .25c bell pepper
- .25c onion
- Sargento Light Cheese Stick
-Leftovers from last night (Chili con Carne and Quick Cucumber Salad)
- 1 large stalk and 1 medium stalk of celery, filled with..
- approx 2tbsp Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter
- Pork Chop "breaded" with grated parmesean cheese
- Steamed broccoli and cauliflower
- Jell-o sugar free dark chocolate pudding
Can you tell what the ingredient that made the difference was? And WHAT the difference was?
The Smuckers Peanut Butter, for 2tbsp, is 200 calories! (The tracker lists 210, but I'm going to ignore that 10). Why is that? Well, peanuts are pretty naturally oily.. and, since this isn't a reduced fat variety, it has 16g of fat in it! Yeah, I was a little floored when I saw that number, too.. but, I looked again. It's all healthy (from peanuts) fat. As long as I don't go overboard, I should be good. Between this and the eggs, though, I do go WAY high on my fat consumed for the day, so I should think about maybe cutting back to one egg for breakfast maybe.
HOWEVER, for the first time in.. well, several days, but notably since starting the South Beach Diet... I am ACTUALLY eating within my calorie range. The Diet says not to worry about calories, and so I won't worry about an upper limit TOO much.. but as long as I'm consuming my minimum, I'm happy!
I think, the hardest part of this diet, is actually planning out the menu for the next month. I never realized how much I relied on pastas, pizzas, and carbs for my meals!