Ok, so for me dieting has been like riding a Merry -Go- Round. Oh yeah, it can be fun. You get on the horse and it begins. Down goes the weight; up goes the weight, down, up, down, up… Sooner or later I realize that I’m not getting anywhere, just going round and round in circles. This is what I consider the ‘not so Merry –GO- Round’. Well, now I’m looking to get off the Merry -Go- Round. But no, getting off implies I can easily get back on the thing, and continue to go in circles. No this time I was to shut down the Merry -Go-Round, I want to break it. Breaking the Merry-Go-Round for me is realizing what makes it function, what keeps me on that device where I am ever moving but never moving forward. Breaking it is not just about dieting, it is about…
• making sensible food choices, not just until I lose weight but every day…for life.
• using food for nutrition, not comfort.
• looking for ways to cut empty calories without completely sacrificing tasty food and nutrition.
• drinking water, lots of it.
• being physically active, not just with scheduled exercise but taking the stairs, parking further away from the door, engaging in sports, dancing to the catchy toons on the radio, etc…
• Oh yeah, last but not least, it is about loving me for me and accepting the me I am now, not the me I will be when I lose weight.
I’m so dizzy from my dieting Merry-Go-Round and now I’m getting off. I’m Breaking the Not So Merry-Go-Round!