30 Day Challenge #1
Thursday, June 14, 2012
I just finished my first 30 day challenge in which I set the goal to lose 10 pounds in 30 days. I reached my goal on 6/13/2012! I wanted to reflect on that challenge today.
My diet plan was to eat in range 5 days of the week and "diet" with a low carb diet for 2 days of the week. At first I tried to "fast" my first day (Monday) and failed like crazy. So on Tuesday I picked myself back up and ate only 50 grams of carbs for the day and the following day. I then continued in the 1200-1500 calorie range. I changed nothing else and lost 5lbs by Mondays weigh in. The following weigh in I lost only 1 pound and the one after I gained it back. I figured that something had to be up since I was still keeping with the plan and had not made any changes. I then noticed something...I was eating very little. Cutting out the carbs and replacing them with veggies meant that my calorie intake would be lower. I was right and calculated that instead of 1200-1500 calories I was eating 800 calories a day. My body was in starvation mode! It was time to readjust my eating but I found it to be too hard. My stomach had shrunk and I was easily full. Slowly though I got in the calories I needed and in the last 4 days I had managed to drop a pound a day!
Now the Good and the Bad and My Advice:
1. I never gave up! Since I only needed 2 days in a row of "dieting" I always felt like it was something I could do and it was so short lived that it was over before I knew it!
2. I ate less during those days so the following days felt full. Over time I noticed I when I was full and so instantly stopped eating.
3. All the veggies were so low in calories that I instantly cut calories by eating more of them.
1.The first 2 sets of "diet" days were hard to get through.
2. Once I got use to those 2 "fast" days it was hard to eat normal the next few days so my body went into starvation mode and by the time I did get to eating normal it made it harder to fast again. I had to live and learn and find balance.
1. Do not try to fast the first time around, instead focus on eating more veggies.
2. Remember snacks! Taking in snacks helped me to get in the calories on high carb days while allowing the main meals to be lower carb and healthy. Eat fruit for your snacks on those days and on the days of low carb skip the fruit and have a veggie for a snack instead.
3. Eat bitter food! Since I was cutting out carbs for 2 days I knew I would have cravings for those days. So to battle my cravings I ate bitter foods. My favorite? Asparagus! Every day for 2 meals (or even my snacks) I would eat at least 3 asparagus spears. Eating bitter foods made sweet foods and carb cravings nearly disappear!
Would I do this diet again and recommend it to others?
This is a simple and easy way to ease back into losing weight and eating better. I noticed most of my carbs came from unhealthy foods so just cutting them out for 2 days meant 2 days of no sweets and lower calories. After 2 days I found that eating sweets was no longer satisfying and so I stopped! Out with the sweets and in with the veggies! I'll be continuing on with this plan but adding it to another plan for my next 30 days which start today!