Monday, June 04, 2012
I donít know about you, but I start thinking about what I am going to eat for dinner before I have even finished my breakfast and today and most of the past weekend was no exception. You might be saying to yourself right now, that seems good, I am playing ahead, thinking things through. Nice try! Ideally, I would love for it to be about planning ahead, but I know that is not what I am really doing.
That really got me to thinking about the role food plays in my life. When I eat, what I eat and why I eat. We have to eat, so that encompasses the when part; what we eat plays a major role in our weight loss and maintenance, but how much focus do we put on the why part? The answer to the question of why we eat seems pretty easy; we eat to fuel our bodyís right? I know for me that it is only partially true. I eat for these reasons as well:
* I eat because it is time (12 noon, 5:00pm Ė you get my drift)
* I eat because I am tired, sad, happy or angry
* I eat because I am bored and donít have anything else to do
* I eat because the food is taunting me from the kitchen
* I eat because I had a bad day at work and in that moment a pizza seems like the only thing that will make me feel better
* I eat because I had a good day at work and in that moment a pizza seems like a wonderful reward
* I eat because I am low on groceries and money but feel starving
* And the main reason I wanted to write this blog today I eat because it is the highlight of my day/life
Meal time is the highlight of my life? Seems kind of pitiful doesnít it. For me, not really, it is just reality. The fact of the matter is I donít have a lot going on in my life right now. I am not married or in a relationship, most of my friends live in other states, I donít have a child at home any longer and even though I am blessed beyond belief to have a job, it is so boring and not what I really want to be doing. As I said above, I donít just eat for fuel; food to me has become to mean something totally different. I have changed the role food plays in my life as a substitute for family, companionship, entertainment and my relief from boredom, which is not the role food should be playing at all.
Although, each item on that list needs to be addressed (all in due time) I am going to start today with dinner time, which when I really think about it (obviously if I am thinking about dinner at 9:00am) is the meal I have been having the most problem staying within my calorie range on. Tonight when I go home, dinner will not be first area of focus. I am going to try to change the routine. I not going to throw my pajamas on (yes I put them on when I get home, because I can) and immediately start making dinner. Instead I am going to do something else, a chore, read a chapter in a book or work my crossword puzzle, something else, other than focusing on food. Then when I am hungry and not because it is time I will make dinner, eat it and be done with it.
My hope is to make meal time just a part instead of the starring role!!