Making SP work for you
Monday, June 04, 2012
What is your formula for success? We all have one, but what becomes clearer to me over time is that a successful eating plan is as unique to us as our DNA. When we start imposing these weird and silly rules for everyone is when we set people up to fail. Ever seen these rules before?
1. Substitute fat free salad dressing for full fat salad dressing
2. Put your fork down between each bite
3. Chew each bite 20 times before swallowing
4. Avoid all processed food
5. Exercise in the morning
6. Don't cheat on your diet
7. Don't exceed your calorie limit
8. Don't eat after 7 p.m.
Now, I'm sure these rules work for someone, somewhere, but they don't work for me. In fact, some of them I think are just plain silly. At the same time, I've found things that work specifically for me. Examples are:
1. Drink a smoothie for breakfast most days of the week.
2. Exercise 4 evenings during the week and on Saturday morning.
3. When you have a social or event to attend, bank your calories and indulge. (E.g, I ate a bratwurst at a major league baseball game. Seemed kinda silly NOT to)
4. Eat a mid-morning snack and a mid-afternoon snack so your blood sugar doesn't get too low.
5. Don't just eat certain foods because they're good for you; eat them because it's what you like.
Those are just a few examples of how I'm doing this program. What are things that work/don't work for you?