June Goals - never done this before!
Friday, June 01, 2012
Can you believe I've been on SP for 2.5 years, and I have never actually written down any goals? I've had vague goals, such as lose 3 pounds in a month, or exercise 5 times a week, but they were always just things I said to myself, and nothing I ever wrote down, or measured, or rated myself on and checked up on to make sure I was still on track. Obviously this method has not been working very well for me. I lost 10 lbs in my first 4 months on SP and have basically been stagnant since then. I have met a lot of non-scale victories, however, and I have never given up. But now I think after all this time I am finally ready to set some measurable goals!!
1. Run 3 times a week. Currently I usually run once or twice a week and am not able to improve my running distance and speed this way. My average speed is 12 min/mile and my long run distance is 3.5 to 4 miles. I am going to start this week with 2 short runs (I already did one on Tuesday) and a long run of 4 miles, and increase the long run by .25 mile each week.
2. Go to an exercise class 1x per week. I need to branch out and do more cross-training. I get really lazy with my exercise and just run, and do nothing else most of the time. I need to break out of my rut, and try out some new things.
3. Take my dog for at least 1 walk or run every day, even if it's just around the block. My poor dog. She doesn't get enough exercise. I take her running after work if I feel like it, but most days she just ambles around the back yard.
4. Run at least 1 race this month. I love them and they keep me motivated to continue improving my running.
5. Drink 8 glasses of water each day. If I don't make this a goal, I will slack off on it and go all day only drinking 3 glasses of water, which has all sorts of consequences which I can actually feel, such as low energy, depression, and suffering exercise.
1. Track food 5x a week. I am already good about getting plenty of fruit and veggies, but if I don't track, I get out of my calorie range and eat things I shouldn't.
2. Fast food only 1x per week. Fast food is my craving. Some people crave ice cream or sweets. For me it is Burger King whoppers and Taco Bell. Sometimes I eat at these places twice in one day. But it's usually because of work/life goal #3 below. I am giving myself 1 time a week to eat a fast food meal because I believe in moderation and it's better than I'm doing now.
1. Lights out by 11:30 PM on weeknights. Sometimes I stay up so late, like midnight or 1 am on nights before work, and end up coming in late several times a week! I got a ding about this on my last annual review last week, and it needs to stop now. This goal goes with the next one which is a challenge of its own...
2. Get to work by 8:30 AM. I really struggle with this. Part of it is because of drinking too much alcohol and/or staying up too late. And part of it is just because I get busy puttering around the house and lose track of time, or because my SO wants me to drive him to work (long, frustrating story).
3. No Hangovers at Work. This is huge for me. It's usually when I am up watching movies and drinking heavily with my SO until 1 am that I am unproductive at work with a hangover. He begs me to drink with him over and over until I cave (it happened on Tuesday). I hate it and I'm worth more than that. BTW I did have a few drinks Tuesday because he would just not shut up about it, but I did well and only had a few drinks and have not had a hangover all week.
4. Write up a budget and make a plan to stick to it. I have basically been flying by the seat of my pants when it comes to my money. I check my account sometimes. I pay my bills. I go out to eat. I drink a lot of beer. I go to bars. And then at the end of the month I am always surprised when I'm struggling to pay rent and sometimes I even have to borrow money from my Ex! I always pay him back but it's ridiculous. I'm not poor by any means. I make decent money. I just don't manage it well.
5. File my divorce papers. Um... I've been separated for over 6 years. My ex and I are good friends but we both agree it's time to get the divorce thing over with. We keep putting it off and pretending it's not out there looming over us. So I am making it a goal to tackle it this month.
Maybe I will revise this blog with cute emoticons and nice formatting but this is all I can muster right now. I'm at work and need to get some things done!!
Oh, and I already messed up one goal this morning. I didn't make it to work until 9:00! I'm going to assign points to each of my goals and rewards for myself depending on the number of points I get, but I'm too busy to do that right now, so I'll mull over it and post another blog with that. I would be really surprised if anyone actually read this whole thing, but if you did, thanks!
I'm not going to give myself any weight-related goals this month. I think everything I have to tackle in life right now is more important than a weight goal and maybe weight loss will follow when I stick to my goals. We will see!
Starting weight: 158.5
Have not taken measurements.
Cheers and have a great day!