Prison Ministry Prayer Request
Wednesday, May 23, 2012
For those of you that don't know, I am involved with my districts Prison Ministry work. I am a volunteer at one of the facilities and I chair the district task force and serve on the district Mission Board. Last night was our monthly meeting and bad news came up.
Illinois has significant financial issues. Instead of taking a sensible approach, they are just hacking wildly at the budget and they have threatened different prisons for the last two years. This year, it appears to be a reality. The Supermax facility (the worst offenders in the state) is being shut down effective at the end of June. Pink slips started going out yesterday.
In addition to this, one of the youth detention centers (IYC) has started giving out pink slips as well, but they haven't announced a shut down date yet.
Then the legislature is working on legislation that woudl shut down a private facility (non run by the government), Tri-County, that serves as the county jail for three counties in the district and the Immigration Service.
The prayers that we need:
- Praise for the opportunities that have been provided from our Lord's good and gracious bounty and that he sent his Son to be good news to share.
- For the staff of and communities surrounding these facilities as they prepare to face these drastic and potentially devastating changes
- for the inmates as they get shuffled around to different facilities.
- For the new facilities that will be recieving the supermax inmates. These are people that have killed guards and other inmates.
- For our volunteers at Tamms and Tri-County as we need to work to find new positions for him to volunteer at to maintain his grant money.
I thank you in advance for your time and prayers. Blessings on your day, my dear brothers and sisters in Christ.