Tuesday, May 22, 2012
OK, this is off the topic of weight loss, but if my story can help someone else then I thought I should tell it.
We own a restaurant and had a batch of dirty rags that we needed to clean. Linen service wasn't scheduled till the end of the week, so my hubby decided to head to the laundry mat and get them done. So approx 40 cotton rags, in washer... then dryer.... then hefty bag... then back of the car to head back to the restaurant the next day. Car was parked in our driveway, and it was a humid rainy night so when I saw the car this morning I didn't think to much of the windows being "steamed" up. Hubby goes to get in the car, opens the door and smoke comes pouring out. The rags, being hot from the dryer, had spontaneously combusted and were now smoldering in the back of the car. When the door opened and O2 got in, they burst into flames. Needless to say car had a lot of smoke damage and the entire carpet in the hatch back was burned, nothing left of the rags but a pile of ashes. I can't help thinking how things could have been so much worse.... but the lesson learned here is not to put hot clothes directly from Dryer (laundry mat) into a bag, let them cool.
Like I said at the beginning, I'm only sharing this story to help prevent this from happening to someone else.