The answer is - stepping out in faith.
The question? What's the progress on Mic's college decision?
I've been putting it off (anyone notice that?).
I know it's a big decision, but I totally wasn't like this for my other two kids. Stacianne went to a state school for two years, and then transferred to Cedar Crest (expensive women's college, but local) for the other two years, just after I was notified of my job being eliminated because the place was closing. I didn't get another job, but was caring for my aunt & then mom. Tim went to Villanova (expensive) on one income. Yet, for both, I didn't worry much. I even thought it was rather amusing that God would want DD to go to the expensive college rather than state school right after me losing a job.
We were all set to accept at PennState, but something held me back from giving them the $200 fee when we were down there. Mic got another letter from DeSales, and I got to thinking.
(Spring into Shape - week 2, day 3 - researching)
PennState offered no grant from federal, and only $231/semester for state. Although she can get subsidized and unsubsized loans, that is the same amount no matter which college she chooses. So, the bottom line is, it will probably run about $15,000 for a year. The total will not be determined until July. The governor is looking to cut spending, and has targeted PennState, saying that he will be cutting money to the state schools, and more so for PS as it is a 'state affiliated' school, not a state school. Translated - less state money + inflation = price going up to at least $15,000.
DeSales on the other hand, is offering her a $8500 university grant + $5000/yr for attending her Catholic high school. Plus she gets about $600 grant more from the state. I called, and then visited the university to meet and talk out my thoughts. I verified that the $13,500 would be there for the other 3 years. so, subject to income fluctuations, she would be getting about $14,000 per year that PennState is not offering her.
(Spring into Shape - week 2, day 4 - decision time)
So, doing the math, DeSales is $29,000/yr - $14M grant money = $15,000 that it would cost for PennState. The colleges would cost the same, and she would have to transfer from PennState LV after 2 years for accounting. Practically, community college would be the best, but I want better, Plus the travel to CC would be a lot longer and cost more in gas.
(Spring into Shape - week 2, day 5 - sign on the dotted line)
If you had a video on me down there, you would have thought they were leading me to the second floor to sign my life away, instead of charging the deposit for college. The bursar even commented that it was supposed to be a happy time. Smile.
It's not that she is my youngest. It's not that I don't approve of the college (that's where I finally graduated in 1999). It's not that I don't approve of her major (same as me, and she should be able to get a job after completion). I don't even think it is because of my DH's illness. Maybe it is, in part.
I think it is because times are uncertain right now. Money is tight, and I'm 12 years older starting this process. I don't want her to be saddled with incredible loans when she is finished.
But, God thought it was amusing to send Stacianne to Cedar Crest in uncertain times. So, here we go again!
(I had this on the huddle for today. I think it fits:)
If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.