Saturday, May 05, 2012
So this week was just about the hardest week I can imagine at work. I'm a school counselor and we had a tragedy within our school community...so that meant that my week was spent being an emotional support for students and staff while also attempting to deal with my own feelings.
I haven't really been dealing with my own feelings very well...so instead I ate like crap this week. That would have been okay had I been exercising but I was busy with work-related things most nights and the other nights I was hanging out with friends and family so I didn't have to be alone with my thoughts for too long.
Tough times always make us think and I've realized a few things this week:
1) I am pretty good at my job and can function pretty well in a crisis.
2) I have amazing, strong, supportive people that work around me.
3) I suck at letting other people take care of me...but I need to do it more...or I will lose my Sh#&.
4) I feel physically heavy when all I eat is fatty and fried.
5) I need exercise as a physical outlet.
6) I need to make sure I'm using HEALTHY coping mechanisms and practicing self-care when I'm in "crisis" mode.
I know that we will get through this situation at work and I need to make sure I continue to take care of myself and not just other people.