On Wednesday, we went to the local McDonalds with the colleagues. The factory restaurant was closed this week, so each day we ate at a different local place outside.
I decided beforehand that I will eat a snack-wrap, and a salad, and maybe a small ice cream in the end, if I feel so. I discovered making the desert optional often gives me the option of ignoring the desert, if I already fill well eaten. I planned to eat a big cup of yogurt (we got some product sample to taste) back in the office, so I considered those already in the meal's calorie budget.
I was surprised and not surprised how my fellow work-mates eat. They chose big burgers, with chips, large coke. It felt like big amounts of calories, so back at home, I calculated for both me and one of them the calories.
Snack wrap (197 kcal/100g, 137g) 270 kcal
Garden salad without dressing (14 kcal/100g, 70g) 10 kcal
Balsamico dressing (76 kcal/100g, 16g) 12 kcal
Spar Bio Kaffee-yogurt (back in the office) (100 kcal/100g, 200g) 200 kcal
Total = 492 kcal
1.5 € + 1.0 € + 0.1 €+ 0.0 € = 2.6 € (~3.4 USD)
Der M (241 kcal/100g, 247g) 595 kcal
Big Mac (226 kgal/100g, 219g) 495 kcal
Gitter Pommes (300 kcal/100g, 183g) 549 kcal
Coca-cola 0.4L (43 kcal/100g, 400g) 170 kcal
Total = 1809 kcal
3.99 € + 3.49 €+ 1.99 € + 1.89 € = 11.36 € (~14.85 USD)
1. It is good to decide beforehand what I will eat.
I save time, and energy on wandering around the menu.
The in-store advertisements promise saving with big portions and combinations, but in fact they promote eating more and spending more.
2. The grilled chicken wrap is 250 g, but only 370 kcal. It is a better choice for feeling full. This is because the snack wrap has deep fried chicken.
3. The choice for calorie-wise eating in the local traditional restaurants is limited (usually only deep fried meat and sausages). Funnily, McDonalds at least has some choice, six salads, and the two mentioned wraps are moderate in calories. (All else is near or above 500 kcal/portion).
4. It's great that McDo show on the homepage the nutritional values!
5. Eating less costs less...
I almost forgot to mention:
I took the bike to the restaurant, the others went by car.
And somehow I was faster in both direction (although I didn't go fast).
On Easter Monday, I went to an excursion in the forests near Vienna (13K), it was a beautiful sunny day.