Day 55 - things to consider when mobility impaired
Friday, April 06, 2012
They put a cast on my ankle this morning. I don't have to have surgery on it-yay! I'm getting an MRI on my knee on Sunday to see if I need surgery to repair torn ligaments.
So, owie. Stuck fairly immobile for the next little bit. So what am I thinking about? Avoiding gaining weight!
1. Drink lots of water so I have to get up to pee. Even hobbling to the bathroom is better than staying in bed all the time.
2. Avoid boredom eating. I'm lucky that I can only eat when my husband's around to fetch me something (can't make it downstairs to the kitchen unaided), but he's perfectly willing to fetch me more than I should eat.
3. Watch portion sizes. I need to get plenty of calcium and other nutrients to aid healing, but I am not burning what I normally do. I got a salad for lunch today and only ate half, saving the other half for dinner.
4. Be patient. Take the time to heal so I can work back to my normal activity levels when my bones/ligaments are mended.
5. Be forgiving. Don't beat myself up for emptional/boredom eating, just get back to sensable portions asap.
Anybody have any tips?