Saturday, March 24, 2012
I've found that the music which motivates me may not be typical... I like LMFAO and The Black Eyed Peas as much as the next person, I guess, and the beat is nice to run along with. But when you need that deep down motivation, that voice that cries, "YOU'VE GOT THIS! DON'T STOP!" I just don't get that kind of motivation from most typical running playlists.
Today's run was a tough one. Around mile 1, I just wanted to stop. I wanted to walk home in defeat, but I talked myself into keeping on. And it was worth it! I thought I'd share my personal playlist. I use a long playlist of 75 songs and I put it on random. When I started running, I needed a structured playlist, but I'm finding now that I like not knowing what song will come next.
1. Newborn by Muse - During my warm-up walk. Muse is, by definition, inspiration. ;)
2. Holiday in Cambodia by Dead Kennedys - still warming up. This song makes me think of my husband and how he played it over and over and over on Rock Band, until he got a perfect score on it. I admire his determination.
3. The House of the Rising Sun by The Animals - I loooove this song. I borrowed the CD from my Dad a few years ago because I love this song so much. The song has so much emotion in it, that I can't help but find it inspiring.
4. Spaceman by The Killers - Such a motivational song! Makes me believe in everything!
5. Dance to the War by Hierosonic - a local band that I really, really love. Look them up!
6. You're Not Here by Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill 3 Soundtrack) - Song about being addicted to someone, I think.
7. Kids in America by Kim Wilde - Makes me want to dance! Which is tough when I'm running... LOL
8. The Young Crazed Peeling by The Distillers - I love girl punk bands! They make me feel tough!
9. Don't Stop by Innerpartysystem - Don't Stop! A great message while running! Just keep going!
10. Immigrants & Hypocrites by The Star F***ing Hipsters - another girl punk band
11. Only Happy When It Rains by Garbage - Great timing as it started raining! This song reminds me that being in a state of discomfort is a GOOD thing. If I never move outside of my comfort zone, I'll never grow!
12. Infinity by Hierosonic - Again, one of my fave local bands, and this song inspired my recent tattoo! At this song, I looked down at the infinity symbol on my wrist and thought, "If I could endure a needle poking me over and over for 20 minutes, I can finish this 5-minute interval!" Seriously, look the band up on Facebook! You'll love them!
13. Electric Chapel by Lady Gaga - A great beat. I love running/walking to this song!
14. Ballroom Blitz by Long Tall Texans - I thought I was done my run, but this song came on and I thought, why not run a few more minutes?
15. Firing Squad by Penetration - Another girl band. A good song to listen to just after finishing strong.
16. Mary, Mary by Chumbawamba - An awesome song from the Stigmata soundtrack. Still feeling strong.
17. The End Has No End by The Strokes - Last song during cool down, another of my faves, and reminding me that being healthy and fit is a lifestyle with no end!
The point is, sometimes it's good to find a playlist online and use that, but sometimes it's good to pick what inspires you! Choose songs that have personal meaning to you, that you find motivational and inspiring!
Choose songs that make you think about the reasons you're doing what you're doing.