Starting the "Tame Your Sweet Tooth" Challenge
Monday, March 19, 2012
Wow, perfect timing. I have been weaning off sugar for a month. By weaning, I mean, going from Living in Little Debbie Land (and candy and cookies and what have you) down to a Nugo Bar (protein bar) and 2-3 dark chocolate Dove eggs per day. But having just returned from a vacation weekend, I fell into old habits and ate what I felt like, and this morning I'm feeling it... not good.
So ready to jump right back in the saddle. If you are interested, look up Challenge Central on Spark People and join with me.
One little kudo for myself -- I must be making some kind of progress... there was a treat I hadn't eaten in months that I indulged in this weekend. The first few sips were luscious - and then 3/4 of the way in I was feeling sick and I had to stop. I didn't want anymore. This was a small hot-fudge malt from Culver's. Culver's is a fast food chain in Minnesota where I used to live. I found a Culver's in Utah this weekend and couldn't wait to get my hands on the malt. I used to polish off a medium, no problem. I'm looking at this as a positive -- my body was telling me "WHOAAAA NELLY", and I actually was listening.
My TOP 5 reasons for cutting back on sugar:
1. It affects my tendonitis and my arthritis. I hurt more. Sugar causes inflammation and when I don’t eat it, I feel better.
2. It affects my mood. When I come down off a sugar binge, I feel depressed and anxious. I look at the world through blue-colored glasses. When I’m not eating sugar, I am more hopeful and positive.
3. It affects my weight. Empty calories make me fat, no two ways about that.
4. It makes me lethargic. I’d rather lay on the couch and watch Dr. Phil while I eat half a pan of brownies, instead of going for a walk.
5. Here’s the gross one – a major sugar binge will give me a yeast infection. Yucky!
I have lots of good reasons to say no to sugar!