We are heading out of Mardi Gras Season! And this is a great picture of our President Obama enjoying some Fried Frog Legs, a famous Creole delicacy in the French Quarter in New Orleans, Louisiana!
QUESTION: "Do frog legs taste like chicken?"
No. Cooked right, they have a naturally tangy flavor, smokey, tender, juicy and delicious!
Frog legs are an exotic Cajun delicacy from South Louisiana.
Grill over a very hot flame a few minutes. Frog legs have no fat. Overcooking or cooking too slow makes them dry and tasteless.
Fish them out of the bayou or contact Church Point Wholesale online for premium quality, cleaned, quick frozen legs.
Here is a simple Frog leg recipe from my Sparkpeople cookbook "Take a Bite Off The Wild Side!" You can find it at:
4-5 lbs. Frog Legs
1 c Olive Oil
Lemon pepper to taste
1-2 Lemons, cut into wedges
Tabasco Sauce to taste
1. Wash the frog legs thoroughly under cold water. Separate the legs into individual legs if you want to.
2. Evenly sprinkle Lemon pepper over the meat.
3. Place the frog legs in a zip-lock freezer bag.
4. Pour the olive oil into the bag.
5. Place in the refrigerator and let it marinate for 3 hours.
6. Before you are ready to grill them, take them out of the refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature for one hour.
7. Get the fire started in the BBQ grill. Using a charcoal burning grill, light the charcoal and let the coals get super hot.
9. When the coals are red hot, grill the frog legs for 1-1½ minutes on each side. Don't keep flipping them over. Let them get a little charred before you flip them. This will enhance their flavor.
10. When they are done, remove them from the grill and place in a covered dish to keep hot until ready to serve.
Serve immediately. serve hot with lemon wedges and Tabasco Sauce.
Makes 6-8 servings