Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.

    CTUPTON   158,170
150,000-199,999 SparkPoints

No real fire but I did scare everyone in the house--again !

Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Last time it was the oven and some wet towels I left there to soak off some burned on foods. turned on the oven to cook something, forgetting that the 2 wet dish towels were there.

This time I used the microwave to sterilize a small pot of soil before planting seeds. There must have been something combustible in the soil--maybe part of an old plant. emoticon

DH was in his bed ( a hospital bed because he can't move his right side). He was scared to death. His male aide was just finishing up putting him to bed. I looked around quickly and could not find the problem. Smell but no smoke or flames. I took care of DH and sent the aide around to find the problem. I just set up DH's wheelchair and got him situated to make a quick transfer if we needed to. After we found the problem, the aide said he would have picked hubby up an d carried him out! We call the aide Lurch because he is very strong and tall but not too bright. I was very glad I wasn't alone.

I gotta stop doing these things! I did sterilize 2 smaller pots of soil with no problem. this was one pot but larger.

Member Comments About This Blog Post:
OOLALA53 2/19/2012 2:02PM

    Haven't seen your blogs for awhile. Glad you got some help. What a great aide!

Report Inappropriate Comment
NANFACEMIRE1 2/11/2012 7:01AM

    A timer is a good suggestion. I set a timer for lots of different things, just so I don't forget. I also write notes and lay them where I can see them. I think we just rush around so much, that we don't always think to remember.

Report Inappropriate Comment
1AVERY 2/10/2012 9:51AM

    Glad everything is OK. I have been leaving pots on and burning stuff alot the last while. I walk away and forget what I am doing. So now I can blame it on Fibro Fog thanks for the new term. I just get distracted easy. The computer is usually the main culprit that has my attention.
Just glad all is well. Take care. Teri

Report Inappropriate Comment
PATRICIA441 2/9/2012 2:36PM

    So glad that what could have been a disaster was taken care of quickly. I am sure your DH was terrified not being able to move himself. Take care of You!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
REACHING4HOME 2/9/2012 2:31PM

    There is a new program premiering this next week (maybe Sunday) called the worst cooks in America. It's on the Food Network. Just a thought ...

Report Inappropriate Comment
RAINBOWCHOC 2/9/2012 11:39AM


Report Inappropriate Comment
DUSTYPRAIRIE 2/9/2012 9:03AM

    I have days when I don't go anywhere near the stove or microwave unless hubby is home with me.

So glad everyone was safe! What a scare!

Report Inappropriate Comment
WALLAHALLA 2/9/2012 7:43AM

    Sorry, but I gotta laugh! Lurch reminds me of that big guy in the commercial that only says "I lift things up and put them down." Glad everyone was safe. Its nice to have endings where we can shake our heads and laugh at ourselves and know that everything is OK. Lurch sounds like someone you can depend on, and obviously cares, or he would have just made a beeline for the door. We all make blunders, and we may as well share them and shake them off, knowing there are more to come, and that all will turn out right.

Report Inappropriate Comment
123ELAINE456 2/9/2012 6:19AM

  I had a problem with my computer making a lot of noise so I had to shut it real quick. sorry about that. Just be very careful when doing things in the kitchen. Use a timer that would alert you to check on what you are doing in the kitchen. That would help prevent things like this from happening. Glad everyone is okay. God Bless You and Have a Wonderful Week.

Report Inappropriate Comment
123ELAINE456 2/9/2012 3:25AM

  Thank God everyone in the house is okay. A few years ago I was living in a studio apartment with the refrigerator, then the stove, and the kitchen sink was right in side when you open the door. I went grocery shopping with my cart and had three totes on top which I put on the stove and turn away to put other things away which I always did. I happen to glance inside of the totes and I seen orange color at the bottom. FIRE! I grab them and put the fire out. When I turn my jacket turn the knob to one of the burnners on and that is what started the fire. From then on I turn the stove off at the breaker box when Im not using it.

Report Inappropriate Comment
CAROLIAN 2/9/2012 2:32AM

    Glad it wasnt a real fire I do things like this from time to time I put it down to Fibro Fog

Report Inappropriate Comment
SANDIE4HLTH 2/9/2012 1:12AM

    Holy smoke! Glad everyone's okay.

Report Inappropriate Comment
MLMILLER11 2/9/2012 12:44AM

    I'm glad everyone is safe and no damage to your house. I have had my share of kitchen fires. You and Your husband take care.

Report Inappropriate Comment
1STATEOFDENIAL 2/9/2012 12:19AM

    Next time try setting a timer for a few minutes and check on it when the timer goes off. I've saved a few soup boil-overs by doing that.

Report Inappropriate Comment
GRAMMAP1 2/8/2012 11:56PM

    It's a phase, my Friend. I don't know how many tea kettles I burned dry. (of course they weren't whistling tea kettles) Resolved: A whistling tea kettle! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
NEWKATHYNOW 2/8/2012 11:22PM

    Fortunately it was just a scare and not an explosion or fire. You were lucky you had someone there to help you. Your lucky day considering what could have happened. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
ARTJAC 2/8/2012 11:01PM

    not a good idea

Report Inappropriate Comment
GRAMMACATHY 2/8/2012 10:49PM

    Never baked towels, but have sterilized soil in the oven, but not the microwave.

Report Inappropriate Comment
FLAMENM 2/8/2012 10:17PM

    You are not alone!!!

My mom always puts stuff like towels or Tupperware on teh oven to dry. And then she "bakes" them.

Report Inappropriate Comment
JACRBUNCH 2/8/2012 9:59PM

    Glad everyone was okay. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
SUSIEPH1 2/8/2012 9:53PM

    Ooops !! .
If the soil has fertilizer in it.... it would be conbustable so not a good idea to microwave it !! emoticon emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

Log in to post a comment.

Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.