CTUPTON
150,000-199,999 SparkPoints 170,024
SparkPoints
 

No real fire but I did scare everyone in the house--again !

Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Last time it was the oven and some wet towels I left there to soak off some burned on foods. turned on the oven to cook something, forgetting that the 2 wet dish towels were there.

This time I used the microwave to sterilize a small pot of soil before planting seeds. There must have been something combustible in the soil--maybe part of an old plant. emoticon

DH was in his bed ( a hospital bed because he can't move his right side). He was scared to death. His male aide was just finishing up putting him to bed. I looked around quickly and could not find the problem. Smell but no smoke or flames. I took care of DH and sent the aide around to find the problem. I just set up DH's wheelchair and got him situated to make a quick transfer if we needed to. After we found the problem, the aide said he would have picked hubby up an d carried him out! We call the aide Lurch because he is very strong and tall but not too bright. I was very glad I wasn't alone.

I gotta stop doing these things! I did sterilize 2 smaller pots of soil with no problem. this was one pot but larger.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • OOLALA53
    Haven't seen your blogs for awhile. Glad you got some help. What a great aide!
    1756 days ago
  • NANFACEMIRE1
    A timer is a good suggestion. I set a timer for lots of different things, just so I don't forget. I also write notes and lay them where I can see them. I think we just rush around so much, that we don't always think to remember.
    1764 days ago
  • 1AVERY
    Glad everything is OK. I have been leaving pots on and burning stuff alot the last while. I walk away and forget what I am doing. So now I can blame it on Fibro Fog thanks for the new term. I just get distracted easy. The computer is usually the main culprit that has my attention.
    Just glad all is well. Take care. Teri
    1765 days ago
  • PATRICIA441
    So glad that what could have been a disaster was taken care of quickly. I am sure your DH was terrified not being able to move himself. Take care of You!!
    1766 days ago
  • REACHING4HOME
    There is a new program premiering this next week (maybe Sunday) called the worst cooks in America. It's on the Food Network. Just a thought ...
    Erin
    1766 days ago
  • RAINBOWCHOC
    whoops!
    1766 days ago
  • DUSTYPRAIRIE
    I have days when I don't go anywhere near the stove or microwave unless hubby is home with me.

    So glad everyone was safe! What a scare!
    1766 days ago
  • WALLAHALLA
    Sorry, but I gotta laugh! Lurch reminds me of that big guy in the commercial that only says "I lift things up and put them down." Glad everyone was safe. Its nice to have endings where we can shake our heads and laugh at ourselves and know that everything is OK. Lurch sounds like someone you can depend on, and obviously cares, or he would have just made a beeline for the door. We all make blunders, and we may as well share them and shake them off, knowing there are more to come, and that all will turn out right.
    1766 days ago
  • 123ELAINE456
    I had a problem with my computer making a lot of noise so I had to shut it real quick. sorry about that. Just be very careful when doing things in the kitchen. Use a timer that would alert you to check on what you are doing in the kitchen. That would help prevent things like this from happening. Glad everyone is okay. God Bless You and Have a Wonderful Week.
    1766 days ago
  • 123ELAINE456
    Thank God everyone in the house is okay. A few years ago I was living in a studio apartment with the refrigerator, then the stove, and the kitchen sink was right in side when you open the door. I went grocery shopping with my cart and had three totes on top which I put on the stove and turn away to put other things away which I always did. I happen to glance inside of the totes and I seen orange color at the bottom. FIRE! I grab them and put the fire out. When I turn my jacket turn the knob to one of the burnners on and that is what started the fire. From then on I turn the stove off at the breaker box when Im not using it.
    1766 days ago
  • CAROLIAN
    Glad it wasnt a real fire I do things like this from time to time I put it down to Fibro Fog
    emoticon
    1766 days ago
  • SANDIE4HLTH
    Holy smoke! Glad everyone's okay.
    1766 days ago
  • MLMILLER11
    I'm glad everyone is safe and no damage to your house. I have had my share of kitchen fires. You and Your husband take care.
    emoticon
    1766 days ago
  • 1STATEOFDENIAL
    Next time try setting a timer for a few minutes and check on it when the timer goes off. I've saved a few soup boil-overs by doing that.
    1766 days ago
  • GRAMMAP1
    It's a phase, my Friend. I don't know how many tea kettles I burned dry. (of course they weren't whistling tea kettles) Resolved: A whistling tea kettle! emoticon
    1766 days ago
  • NEWKATHYNOW
    Fortunately it was just a scare and not an explosion or fire. You were lucky you had someone there to help you. Your lucky day considering what could have happened. emoticon
    1766 days ago
  • ARTJAC
    not a good idea
    1766 days ago
  • GRAMMACATHY
    Never baked towels, but have sterilized soil in the oven, but not the microwave.
    1766 days ago
  • FLAMENM
    You are not alone!!!

    My mom always puts stuff like towels or Tupperware on teh oven to dry. And then she "bakes" them.
    1766 days ago
  • JACRBUNCH
    Glad everyone was okay. emoticon
    1766 days ago
  • SUSIEPH1
    Ooops !! .
    If the soil has fertilizer in it.... it would be conbustable so not a good idea to microwave it !! emoticon emoticon emoticon
    1766 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment


    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.