My many traps, bad habits and weaknesses
Thursday, January 05, 2012
I have been going over in my mind the things that make me stumble or straight out fall flat on my face when trying to make better choices for myself. I know my childhood is where a lot of my bad habits started and for me and my husband we work at preventing our daughters from developing some of the same bad habits that we had.
So, in order for us as a family to keep on a healthy focus I needed to work on recognizing all my weaknesses and triggers be it an actual food or place. So, this is what I got....
1. My husband's parents' home-they have a stocked pantry with way too many things to try out, we go out to eat a lot when there and our big meals are back to back meaning we will get done with a big lunch and then go have a big dinners within 3-4 hours after. So, I often mindlessly eat and eat when I am not really hungry because that is just what we have always done.
2. My grandmother's-she has way too much sweets(both her and her husband are diabetic too) and salty snacks out in full view. Plus she is a food pusher and thinks eating healthy is bad(well at least that is how it seems). Tried to convince me yesterday that I should not eat spinach because Ray Romano got kidney stones from eating them. Hmm, what about not drinking enough water? Looked it up, it's a controversial topic and most researchers find that spinach consumption by someone not predisposed to have them typically are fine consuming, nor have I ever had any problems with kidney stones. Read drinking water is more critical at preventing...but I digress...
3. Parties and get togethers, I am a foodie and always want to try everything.
4. Restaurants, especially Italian and Mexican-hello bread and chips & salsa!!
1. sweets, especially cookies, cake, ice cream...ok most sweets...chocolate!
2. chips and dips
4. Italian or Mexican
5. cheesy things
So, now that I realize this what do I do? Can I avoid this stuff all together? No... Best thing for me at the current moment is to avoid some food items since I am only a week into this but I will address my loves as I gain stability and focus on not mindlessly eating things especially things I don't love. I will be mindful of not walking into kitchens in a trance and grabbing and putting food in my mouth without thinking. Those are bad habits that got me to over 230 pounds ++. I guess for me the take away lesson is to be mindful in my food choices and my situations where there are lots of bad choices. Dear Lord Help Me be Good(90% of the time)!