Saturday, December 31, 2011
Well this marks 2 years that I have made a conscious decision to lead a healthier and more fit life. Instead of harping on the things I should or could of done better lets focus on the things I have done well.
1. I now have control of me. I realize that the choices I make directly relate to the results I achieve or miss. No excuses
2. I make the best choice at the time in the current situation. It is not always the perfect choice, but a little planning makes the better choices easier. Rather it be nutrition or exercise.
3. I went from barely walking 1 mile in 20 mins to doing multiple 5K, 10k and 4 half marathons.
4. My weight dropped below 200 for the first time in 20 years, from my heaviest of 290, although the last few months I did gain some back due to making the less than best choices and an injury. Not an excuse just a result of my choices.
5. What started with a battle with a scale transformed into a quest for health and fitness. It is an on going journey.
6. I am not on a diet. I now try to have better nutrition. I have nothing that is off limits. I still drink beer, and eat desert. But I do try and limit the less than better choices.
7. I have motivated and inspired many people to lead a healthier and fitter lifestyle. Which unknown to them is a great motivation for me. The satisfaction of giving back is wonderful.
8. I do not run races. I do events. To me it is not about what place I finish. The key is that I have started and I have finished each and every event I have entered
9. Social media has been a big part of my success. Putting myself out there's on Facebook and Sparkpeople has help keep me accountable. My ego does not let me fail. Use peer pressure as a positive. It is easy to rationalize that bag of M&M's to yourself but not to hundreds of online friends and buddies.
10. The end of 2011 is nothing but the beginning for the rest of my journey toward my best health and fitness. I have no end date. I hope to continue to learn and improve each year . I strive to me the Man the Mirror likes to see. Inside & Out
HAPPY NEW YEAR to all