2012 fitness goals - for the love of horses
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
I've recently gotten back into horseback riding. English riding, to be specific. Dressage, to be even more specific. I've had 9 lessons over the course of this semester and have loved (almost) every minute of it. I probably mentioned before how I'm always making new goals and new dreams for myself. My new one is to be an event rider - for those of you who don't know, it's dressage, cross-country jumping, and show jumping each, either on one day, or over the course of 3 days. And I also think it would be really awesome to write for an equestrian publication, since I'm a print journalism major now.
But fitness is important for riding. Not only to avoid injury and post-riding soreness, but to improve my riding as well. I need cardio and muscle endurance, as well as muscle strength. I really want to build up my qualifications as a rider, so I need to be in the best shape I can be. Here are some goals to accomplish by the end of the summer, to get me ready for the fall 2011 showing season:
-Run 9-minute miles on the elliptical
- Run 8-minute miles on the treadmill or outside
- Run 11-minute miles on the more difficult cardio machines
- 150 lbs on the seated calf machine (I'm at 105 right now)
- 65 lbs on the rotary torso machine (at 35 now)
- 75 lbs on the leg curl machine (at 42 right now)
- 50 lbs each on biceps and triceps (at 30 right now)
- Take a yoga or pilates class at least once a month
- During the summer, either trade barn work for riding lessons (when not riding with the school team), or take at least one lesson a month
I'll have to think of diet goals...I'm happy with my weight but would like to eat healthier...hmm?