Monday, November 28, 2011
1. Seeing a pt you were making jokes with yesterday, now dying.
2. Seeing the suffering of the sick.
3. Witnessing the futile hopes of the families.
4. Having to tell those families that even in the ICU, there's nothing else we can do.
5. Seeing 'til death do us part' actually happen.
6. Being helpless to stop the inevitable.
7. Performing my last physical exam and pronouncing my patient dead.
These things have repeated themselves for me more times than I would like in the past month. I remember every face and every tear. Oh, I forgot one:
8. Other people thinking that the loss of human life is something I have gotten used to. I haven't.