Sunday, October 09, 2011
To be certified organic the farmer or producer has to be inspected by an independent third party certifier. There are no synthetic pesticides, animal drugs, sewage sludge, GMOs, irradiation, and chemical fertilizers used.
Anything else is just conventional farming. Don't be fooled by marketing that indicates that foods are natural. There are no enforced guidelines to put this on a product. It is the same as that item next to it without claims.
Organic is cheaper than conventional because conventional farming costs the following:
1. Cheap products are being subsidized by the government - tax money hard at work!
2. Damages your health - nearly every bite includes pesticides, antibiotics and other animal drug residues, pathogens, feces, hormone disrupting chemicals, toxic sludge, slaughterhouse waste, GMOs, chemical additives and preservatives, irradiation-derived radiolytic chemical by-products, and more.
3. Damages the environment - chemicals and energy-intensive factory farming and contaminates the water supply.
4. Impoverishes rural communities.
5. Exploits farm workers.
6. Inflicts unnecessary cruelty on farm animals.
7. Damages the climate - greenhouse gases.
The extra you pay now for organic provides the following:
1. No tax subsidies - balance the budget anyone?
2. Improves your health! Higher in vitamin content and trace minerals, boosts immune system and reduces cancer risks.
3. No chemicals! Provides rich soil.
4. Strengthens rural communities.
5. Farm workers are not part of a greedy corporation.
6. Healthier farm animals and treated more humanely.
7. Substantially reduces greenhouse pollution.
To find out more see the following article by Dr. Mercola - http://articles.mercola.com/si