How to be a Winner at Losing
Thursday, October 06, 2011
I just wanted to share some of my tips and tricks on how I have been successful at losing weight. If you implement these into your daily life and stick to them you will be successful too.
1. Upon waking- Drink a glass of water or herbal tea and do some stretching to start your day. Have positive happy thoughts first thing in the morning. It's important to start your day with good intention and positivity. Start your day with a smile. Read a funny joke or story or something truly inspiring. This will set the mood for your day.
2. Once awake- Within 1 hour of waking up, eat something...even if its just a piece of fruit or a slice of toast...you have to get your metabolism kicking in.
3. Get your workout done early in the day. That leaves less time for procrastinating or using no time as an excuse. It makes it easier too if you wear your workout clothes to bed. You should be doing: Cardio- at least 30 minutes 4-5 days a week and Weight training at least 15 minutes 2-3 days a week. Schedule in your workout time. It's as important as brushing your teeth. Most important, keep your workouts fun and varied to combat boredom.
4. Drink a protein/meal replacement shake as one of your meals daily. I do this after my workout. It gives me my vitamins and nutrients, gives me more energy, keeps me feeling fuller longer, and it reduces my cravings for sugar.
5. Eat smaller portions of your favorite foods. Eat on a smaller plate and use a larger fork. Also, when eating out share a meal with someone else or when ordering your food ask them immediately for a take out box and box half to take home before you start to eat. I also search out healthier versions and recipes of my favorite foods to try out at home.
6. Drink lots of water throughout the day. This helps to not only keep you hydrated, but it keeps you feeling full. Actually our bodies trick us sometimes by making us think we're hungry when we are actually thirsty. So drink up on the H20.
6. Cut back on sugary carbs, drinks, and foods. And, try and stay away from fried foods and fast food!! This is an important one!!
7. Remain active. Find ways to be more physically active during the day. Take the stairs and park farther away and walk. Stand and stretch at your desk. Take mini fitness breaks while at work. Wear a pedometer and track your steps.
8. Track your food and exercise and keep a journal. It's amazing what the power of journaling can do. Writing everything down helps to keep track of what your eating and how much your doing. It's a great motivator to try even harder to stick with your goals too.
9. Have a strong support system. Buddying up with someone is a great way to stay accountable with your goals and can help the other person stay on track too. It's a great way to coach each other along as well. The more friends you have on board that are living a healthier lifestyle the better.
10. Treat yourself on occasion, without the guilt! For me I don't want to feel deprived of anything that I want when it comes to food. Just allow yourself to splurge every once in a while...just do it moderately. It will only make your chances of losing much greater this way. If you are being too restrictive on yourself you are only setting yourself up for catastrophic failure. Also, treat yourself to some nice gifts for a job well done. After all, you deserve it!