Wednesday, September 28, 2011
Don't you think of apples as being all American? Apple pie, apple cider, bobbing for apples, apples from Washington state - all that. Nope, not at all.
This info comes from an email advert I received from chefs.com (and they do have good kitchen products, but that isn't the point of this blog).
Here are some fascinating apple facts:
- Apples are a member of the rose family.
- Apples float because 25% of their volume is made up of air.
- Most popular apple in the US is the Red Delicious. Golden Delicious is 2nd place.
- Only apple native to North America is the crabapple!
- Apples are grown in all 50 states, but only 36 states produce apples commercially.
- An apple tree does not produce fruit until its 4th or 5th year.
- Americans eat about 19.6 lbs of fresh apples a year, while Europeans eat about 46 lbs.
-Apples are free of fat, sodium, and cholesterol.
- Apples ripen up to 10 times faster at room temp than if they are refrigerated.
SO EAT THOSE APPLES!!!!!!!!!