Friday, August 26, 2011
After much lost sleep, excess calories and soul searching, I turned down the new job offer this afternoon. What it boiled down to was flexibility to care for my husband at my current job and the unfortunate convergence of paying for 2 months of COBRA along with 3 consecutive months of insurance deductibles if I made a switch now. The risk just felt too great if either of us had a medical emergency (not uncommon for us) and the timing not quite right.
When I called the new company to decline, the manager said all the right things but I could tell she was quite angry. Kind of a "how dare you turn us down" vibe. Made me unsure I'd want to work for her and I felt better about my decision. At least that's what I'm telling myself. I talked to my mom & a close friend & they both said they could understand my reasoning--and I think both would tell me if they thought I was being ridiculous. But, man oh man, I hate walking away from much needed cash.
I am going to follow up by asking to meet with our CEO to discuss pay equity. My supervisor spoke with him today and CEO had the impression I had applied for the new job to leverage him. Not the case and I need to clear that up. Supposedly he's willing to consider raising my pay to be equal with my co-workers (especially the one I have to help on a regular basis!). If he does, great. If not, that will be something to remember in a year or so after my youngest daughter is launched and I'm able to sell my house. If and when I go, I'll be certain it's the right thing and right time.
I'm going to enjoy finally getting a good night's sleep tonight. Tomorrow I'll try to catch up on all the work I didn't get done during this uproar AND get back on track to exercise & eat better...