Saturday, August 06, 2011
Whew! As I look behind at all that went on this summer leading up to the return to work, I am amazed at how swiftly five weeks can go and what I have packed into the time.
I got a couple of days reprieve in the form of the dreaded "furlough". I work in education and due to lack of state funding, my salary was reduced by 1.9%. This didn't come as a big surprise and I have been planning the budget for it since last April. I just didn't know how the picture would look until the school board passed the budget this last week. Long story short, I will have six furlough days in this coming school year and I have adjusted my budget to work with the shortfall. I am fortunate to have a job (28 teachers, 2 librarians, and additional staff in support areas were laid off). This is not a whine session, just my reality for now. Life is full of varying degrees of problems and I am a pretty good adjuster. I am grateful for the extra time off actually. Instead of starting work on this coming Monday, I will work only two days next week and take a personal day for my birthday.
I have begun to regroup for school and am relaxing in the accomplishments I've had this summer:
1. Cleaned every closet, cupboard, drawer, and "hidey hole" in preparation for the annual garage sale.
2. Read a lot of books and watched some great DVD's.
3. Had a great visit with my daughter and her hubby and my darling grandson.
4. Dealt with a lot of homeowners association stuff (I'm the President) and did a lot of problem solving with a great board.
5. Cleaned out the Clubhouse Kitchen with other board members and got things ready for the Garage Sale in July.
6. Installed a new range hood with the help of two wonderful neighbors.
7. Worked on a re-do of my bedroom--work in progress, but I love the creating, planning, shopping for deals and labor involved.
8. Spent time with my BFF walking, talking, and hunting for the perfect bargains for #7.
9. Visited a lot with my terrific upstairs neighbor.
10. Tracked, tracked, tracked and read a lot of great stuff on SP!
11. Walked, walked, walked and am adding up the miles!
12. Encouraged two friends to join Spark People.
13. I should reach my birthday goal of a 10# loss.
14. Really am benefiting from SparkPeople in a ton of ways, but one that really pertains to the accomplishment of the previous list is that I have MORE energy!
15. I'm actually excited to dig into the new school year and get back with my great school family. We will have a lot more challenges with finances, kids, families, and unknown issues that are always a part of the school year, but I'm ready and refreshed.