Thursday, August 04, 2011
My last post begging for suggestions on what to do with fresh figs generated a lot of helpful information from fellow SPARKers (thank you all so much!!! I knew I could count on you!!) who gave me some internet sites to explore. I quickly found some great ideas that fit into my lifestyle. I have already tried the first two and will continue to work down the list as my figs ripen (thanks to RUTHXG and the site she recommened www.pickyourown.org/figs
I now have a better idea what that means). Ah, figs...they just might make my list of Top 5 Favorite Fruits.
1. Just wash the fig, hold it by the stem, and eat it!!!
2. Add to a salad with mixed greens (arugula is especially good) with a homemade vinaigrette (smashed garlic clove, olive oil, balsamic vinegar).
3. Cut them in half, drizzle the cut sides with a little honey, sprinkle with chopped rosemary, and stick under the broiler for a couple minutes.
4. Put the extras in a Ziploc and freeze them. You can eat them frozen.
5. Cut them up and mix in Greek yogurt with honey and walnuts.
6. Make bran muffins and sink half a fig into the middle as a surprise.
7. Make a super easy pizza with thinly sliced figs, crumbled feta or goat cheese and prosciutto.
I am sure there are more ways, but this is a good start for me. I will continue to explore options. Between SPARK people and the internet, I have a feelings I have but tapped the surface.