Jillian's 30 Day Shred - Day 3
Wednesday, July 27, 2011
So I took the plunge. I've heard so many good things about Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred, so I rented it from Netflix (no sense buying the DVD if I won't stick with it; that's how I obtained my impressive collection of workout DVDs that is currently collecting dust on my DVD shelf).
Monday was day 1. Did it that night, because the DVD didn't come until Monday, but I still wanted to start that day. There's something about starting things on Mondays that just seems right to me. I've heard day 2 is the hardest, because you're so sore from day 1, but that wasn't the case for me, since I did my second workout Tuesday morning (less than 10 hours after the first), and therefore my muscles weren't sore yet.
But boy - day 3 kicked my ass. Starting Tuesday night I found it was extremely difficult to stand up from sitting, and climbing the stairs to my apartment? I thought my legs were going to detach from my body - and even kind of wished that they would. But I still made myself do the workout this morning, even though my entire body was screaming in pain. And I'm glad that I did.
A few notes on the workout:
1. If you have big boobs, the cardio parts will be painful. Extremely painful. I was wearing 2 sports bras AND a workout tank that has that built-in shelf bra, and my chesticles (yes, I just went there) hurt so bad I couldn't do the jumping jacks / jump rope / butt kicks properly because I kept having to hold my boobs with one hand. Just be warned.
2. Start with the 3-pound weights. Even if you think you can start with the 5, don't. Because starting about the second half of the first strength circuit, you're gonna wish you'd gone with the 3.
3. It's true that after only a few workouts you will find your endurance getting better. Days 1 and 2, I would have to do the second reps of the strength circuits without the weights, but today, I used weights the whole time! I was screaming bloody murder (the neighbors probably thought I was dying) because it hurt, but I was able to do it! Can't wait until day 5 or even 10 to see what I can handle.
4. Drink lots of water beforehand, especially if you're working out in the morning. Jillian doesn't let you take breaks. And come on, it's 20 minutes, you don't need a break. But in the mornings, after going 7+ hours without water, you're going to get dehydrated within the first 5 minutes. So I drink a glass or two of water before the workout, and a glass after.
5. Don't eat before doing the workout. I made the mistake of eating my oatmeal prior to the workout on Tuesday, and I thought I was going to throw up halfway through. Wait until you've finished and showered to eat.
Can't wait to do more of this tape - I have a feeling I'm going to be on level 1 longer than the recommended 10 days (I won't move up until I'm able to do the workouts with 5 lb weights, and do the push-ups on my toes instead of my knees), but that just means I'll make the shred last a little longer. I'll post updates as I go along.
I really think you should try it if you haven't already - even if you don't lose 20 pounds in 30 days (I really don't see how that's possible), you're still going to get GREAT workouts in less than 30 min. a day.