A new perspective
Tuesday, June 14, 2011
I haven't a clue what has kicked me in the butt to get me going and more focused on living a healthier lifestyle but I am glad that something did. Some realizations hit recently like:
I am not getting any younger
40 is rapidly approaching
I ll be out of HS for 20 years next year
Triglycerides for the first time in 2 years were finally below 250 during the last blood test.
I have embarked on a walking and I hope eventually jogging program. I am not rushing it and taking my time so that I don't give up. It's been too easy in the past to say "forget it" when the going gets tough, however, this time its different. My mother just completed her 9th marathon at almost 60 and I have a girlfriend who has also made great progress with her goals. Yeah, I can do this.
Things that keep me going each day:
* Location, location, location - I have a wonderful park close to where I live with a great walking/jogging path. It's scenic and a bit hilly so it gives a nice workout.
* Music - Is a MUST for me. The tempo and songs keep me from focusing on how much further I have to go. I really like steaming Pandora through my phone.
* Good shoes and socks - Make all the difference in the world. Happy feet are a good thing.
* Climate appropriate clothing - Cotton on a 96 degree day isn't good.
* A cool shower afterward - I love it.
* The overall feeling after having done it when it was all too easy before to talk myself out of it.
Lastly, I have to tell myself its not so much the destination but the journey. It will happen in time, one day at a time. So much is mind over matter.