Tuesday, June 07, 2011
I think I have a tape worm. Usually the onset of warm weather takes away my appetite, but this year, the onset of the sun has brought out my ability to bike and run and swim and sit out soaking up the rays. I'm already more tan this year than I usually am by August from all the time I've spent outdoors and that makes for one HUNGRY GIRL!
But this is getting ridiculous. I've been very obviously over my calorie limit almost every day for about 2 weeks now. I've been drinking and haven't been saying no to that piece of cake at the cast party, or the extra little treats that have snuck in here and there - "because I'm working them off anyway" - is what I keep thinking.
Well, the scale this morning says something different. I'm NOT working them off. I'm gaining weight. And it needs to stop. But it's crazy. I can't stop it. I'm hungry (physically hungry) all the time. Case in point - I usually don't eat lunch until around 2pm. It's currently 12:30pm and I just scarfed down a whole leftover Pita Pit dinner from last night's work meeting AND extra pita, tzaziki & hummus to go with it. I'm not hungry any more - but give it a few hours and I'll be back to the fridge again. AHHHHH! It's so frustrating.
I don't want to stop exercising. I've made the commitment to continue biking to work as much as possible this summer. But it's only since I've started biking that I've turned into the food ogre. And I do know from wearing my Garmin on one ride that I'm burning way more calories than Spark is telling me I am from tracking my exercise. And the good news from all of this is that my legs and butt have toned down and are starting to look killer now - which is exactly what I wanted to have happen. But this weight gain this morning ain't no patootty muscle building. It's purely and simply a food baby.
I just closed my show - so I should be able to get back to focusing on making healthy food at home and not eating out as much, but because I usually put off everything until my show closes (as I have done again this time), this week is full of meetings (which either involve food directly, or happen after hours so I can't get home to cook dinner), dates (which definitely involve food and drinking, and not usually of the healthy variety), and a lot of additional stress at work to get caught up on everything I've put off until now. And stress makes me eat for sure.
So the deal is this:
1. I've been lazy with my food tracker, so I'm food tracking EVERYTHING again. No cheating. If it goes in my mouth, it goes on the tracker. And already today sucks cause I have at least 10 hours until my work day is done and I only have 300 calories left. Poop.
2. Water, water, water. No more diet coke. There's no need for it anymore. Diet coke withdrawal sucks for me big time. It's not just about the pick-me-up in the afternoons, but because I use it as a treat instead of sugar or other things. It does help curb my chocolate cravings, but I know that I tend to eat more and put on pounds (or just not lose them as easily) when I'm drinking that crap. So I'm going to start a streak in Spark to get me through ridding my days of that again.
3. Grocery shopping and planning meals for the weekend. I've been pretty good about this all along, but pay day falls on a weird schedule this week, so I'm down to my last dollars and thus don't have any good food in my fridge at home until this weekend. So left over pitas from the work meeting will have to continue being my lunches for this week, despite the added salt. They're better than some of the other things I could be eating.
4. Just keep exercising. My body WILL get used to this level of burn eventually. It's been over a month now, but it's gotta kick in soon. I'm not convinced that ALL of this hunger has to do with the added calorie burn. I know some of it is emotional - and emotional tied to physical is the worst, because you eat to feed the physical hunger and then KEEP EATING to feed the emotional.
5. No more booze. Stop it. The celebrations are over, there is really no need to drink wine and beer a couple of times a week. Last night I had a meeting with the cast and crew of the cabaret show that I produce. We had a really great week last week (we made a lot of money from a deal I set up) and the cast brought me a beer to the meeting as a thank you. I drank it. And I was the ONLY one drinking! What kind of crap is that??? Oh, and I also had an iced tea sitting in front of me that was really all I needed with dinner. Drinking needs to stop. Even on dates. No reason I can't drink something else and keep my head in the game and the over-eating from lowered inhibitions at bay.
So that's the game plan. I've been reading a lot of these blogs from other people lately too. Common Sparkers! Let's kick ourselves in the butt a little and not waste this beautiful summer being bigger than we need to be! Enjoy the fruits (and vegetables) of the season and love how being healthy and happy (and not eating crappy food) makes you feel!