Thursday, May 12, 2011
I've been at a Weight Loss Standstill for way too long and I read an article on MSN called "The Golden Rules of Weight Loss" and most of them I'm not consistently doing! I believe most, if not all, are part of the SP Plan but maybe I'm more open to implement them in my quest to get at a healthy weight. I have lost 24#s which is a start but a far cry from the over 100#s I still need and want to lose. Maybe what shocked me into fine-tuning my strategy, besides the standstill, is the fact that according to my age (64) and my height (5'8") my BMI should fall between 18.5 to 24.9 and OMG mmy BMI is a shocking, to me at least, 41.4--way, way off the Chart! So Here it goes:
1. Write everything down you eat. Well, I want to say I do this religiously but then I think I don't always count those bites or sips, usually late at night. Every day in my Journal I'm going to rate how Healthy I ate that day--1- being an unhealthy day up to 5 for a Super Healthy Day.
2. Measure what you Eat! For some reason this is a hard one for me. I have all the tools to do that--even bought measured bowls to try to help but usually don't use them. I still want to "eyeball" my portions but if I'm honest I think I under estimate the quantity of the foods I eat. As when I do measure, say cereal, and a 1/2 cup is a serving, I'm shocked at how little that amount is. So I'm setting all all the measuring cups, bowls, etc. and dusting off my digital food scale which I bought but only used a few times.
3. Beef Up Your Protein - I'm going to try to spread my Protein throughout the day as it helps keep me satisfied as it takes longer to digest. Right now I'd have to say I eat most of my Protein for the day at dinner--so that needs to change.
4. Add Color To Every Meal - I'm going to increase the colorful fruits & veggies I now eat and try some new ones! I love all fruit but unfortunately there are some really healthy veggies that I've never learned to like so I need to re-introduce some green and yellow veggies and hopefully I will now like them.
5. Stop Grazing - Awhile back there were quite a few articles on how eating 6 or more small meals are better than the 3 a day, with 1 or 2 healthy snacks. But, A Study in the 2010 Obesity Journal found that people who ate 3 meals a day and a healthy snack or two lost more weight than the ones who ate the 6 or more mini-meals a day. This article said the reason is when you are always eating it increases the salivary secretion and the production of digestive enzymes and that stimulates your appetite. I'm going to stick with the 3 meals and a snack or two throughout the day. People with the 6 mini-meals or more can't really tell if they are hungry or not, so the Study says.
6. Always Have a Plan - I haven't been doing meal planning like I know I should. So, every Saturday I'm going to plan out my Healthy meals for the week and that way I won't be stressing out about what to fix, especially for dinner, and I can shop more Healthy and Economically.
7. Slow Down Eating - I'll bet, most of the time, I wolf my meals down in about 5-7 minutes. I've, unfortunately, always eaten quickly. I plan on slowing way down and making my meals take 15-20 minutes. For lunch and dinner I'm going to have a salad for my main course and learn to chew and savor my food instead of inhaling it. Maybe that's why both of my Sisters are slim as they eat very slowly. Studies have shown that people who eat quickly until full are more than 3 times as likey to be overweight than people who take their time and eat slowly. This will be hard one but I believe I can Do This!
8. Do Not Rush Weight Loss - Hey, I'm sure not guilty of this one as I've been on this quest to lose weight longer than I care to mention. But for you Newbies, it says it takes at least 3 months to learn to plan, shop healthy and read labels--I guess where it becomes a habit. Needless to say, I'm on the "late Train" on this one. I have learned not to give up when I have that extra cookie I just take those 2 steps forward as I'll never quit trying to get healthy.
I would add that I think Exercising and Sparking also really help with Weight Loss. I'm getting back to exercising and I always love the encouragement and support I get from SP friends--You are the Best Motivators to Me!