30,000-39,999 SparkPoints 35,724

It's been a tough 6 weeks....

Monday, May 09, 2011

It's been a tough 6 weeks. First, my daughter was in the hospital with pneumonia. While she was there, my dad had a really bad respiratory infection. He's 87 with dementia. He's still able to do most things for himself. His respiratory infection got so bad, however, that he was extremely confused and incontinent for two days. Once the fever broke and he started to recover, his mentality improved. He is not normally incontinent. Except for an occasional "accident" at night, while he's sleeping. Fortunately, that improved also, as his health improved. This entire situation lasted about a week and a half.

About a week later, I had surgery to reconstruct my right thumb joint, remove a cyst from the tendon to my thumb, a release of the tendon, and a release in my right carpal tunnel. It was the most painful surgery I have ever experienced. It's a month now, and I'm still wearing a splint on my right hand.

After my surgery, my daughter started complaining of having trouble breathing and being unable to lie flat in bed. I took her to our primary care physician, who suggested she go back into the hospital. He was unsure of what was causing her symptoms, since her chest xray had improved. The hospital here ended up transfering her to the University of Pittsburg's hospital in Pittsburg. The doctors here were uncomfortable caring for her, since she is a very complicated patient. To make a long story short, it turns out she had a heart attack. She had a cardiac catheterization and three blocked coranary arteries were found. The doctor was able to open and stent one artery. Another one wasn't bad enough for stenting. The third was going to the area of the infarct (where the heart attack occured) and there was no point in stenting it, as the heart muscle in that area had already died.

She's still in the hospital. They can't seem to get rid of the fluid in her lungs. They're taking her back for some kind of venous catheterization tomorrow. It's to determine whether the fluid in her lungs is due to her heart or if there is another cause.

I've been driving to the hospital nearly everyday. It's a two hour round trip. I stay at the hospital for an hour or two. So, we're talking three to four hours daily. I spend my mornings getting my dad up and out to the daycare he attends. I usually get him there around 11am. He's back home at 4:15pm. Then, I have to fix dinner and get him to bed.

I signed up for the Spring into Summer Bootcamp, but I'm finding it nearly impossible to get in the exercise. I'm feeling discouraged and I think it's effecting my diet. Not that I'm pigging out or anything, but I feel like I'm struggling to stay within or close to within my calorie limit for the day.

I refuse to give up.... I may struggle, but I will not quit!!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post

    Be the First to Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.