Well, they can't all be great...
Monday, May 02, 2011
So I did a 10K on Sunday. It was a gorgeous day - sunny and in the 60's. Which after a long winter seems like heaven. Unfortunately, gorgeous for regular activity can be HOT for running. Strangely enough, though, the heat was not the biggest problem for me this race.
* I was wearing a really fun outfit. I've trained before with keys in my back pocket of the shorts I was wearing. I just hadn't trained with my car keys which turned out to be heavier. Plus I had picked up two mini Clif bars (they were FREE, I couldn't turn them down?!). I had all this in my back pocket. Started running...shorts started slipping. I know that some folks behind me in that first 5 minutes definitely got a show! I ended up running the rest of the race with keys in one hand, Clif bars in the other. I know I could have put down the bars along the course, but I didn't want to litter!
* Around mile 2 I got a really bad feeling - I needed to poop. Badly. I was able to finish the race, but I spent more time walking than I wanted to because it seemed to make things feel better.
* The course was VERY hilly. I've run hills before, but this was more than I've done. I ran up some, walked others.
Given all that, you wouldn't expect great things. But - I did PR. Just not at the level I wanted to. I was aiming for 66 minutes; did it in 0:67:19. I feel kind of bad for that.
What do I take from this experience?
* I can run through more than I think I can. But when I need to walk, WALK.
* Each race is different - take the positives when they come. Better time is always good.
* More hill training!
* I don't fist my hands as much as I thought I did, because what I was carrying didn't feel uncomfortable. So that's good!