Wednesday, April 20, 2011
In the last entry before my hiatus, I was nervous about my first 5k. A lot has happened since then!
* Finished 5k - so happy!
* Finished 10k - so happy!
* Pulled groin muscle training for 1/2 marathon - so sad!
* Finished HALF MARATHON - SO HAPPY!
Yes, in the months since my prior post, I was able to train up enough to successfully finish a half marathon. And it was a heckuva race. First of all, I was still recovering from my groin pull. I pulled it at Thanksgiving, race was in January, still pain! Plus the day before I flew down for the race (it was in Disney World!), I caught a nasty cold.
With all of that, I still crossed the finish line! I ran the first 7 miles, ran/walk the last 6. And at mile 10 - the cold medicine wore off. So it was three miles of coughing which caused pain to shoot down my leg. Was not fun. But - when I crossed the finish line, it was all worth it.
Since then - I caught the race bug.
* Ran 5k - Missed my PR, but still was good
* Ran 10 miler - Was amazed - I kept at my 5k pace for the entire race!
My plans for this year:
* 11 races for '11 - 3 down, 8 to go!
* Improve speed - right now I'm at just above a 10 minute mile. Sub-10 minute mile, here I come!
* Another Disney half! And when I complete that - a special medal! Yay!
It's been a great 6 months in running, and I'm excited for what's to come!