Thursday, April 14, 2011
Rehearsals have been going well. Things I've learned:
1. Half the school has a major crush on my court jester kid. Seriously.
2. The kid playing Juliet's relative (the one who carries her out when she is playing dead) was extremely upset after some time texting this morning - his friends think maybe he got dumped. Via text?????? What kind of girlfriend does that in 8th grade???????
3. My narrator has a schedule conflict. She also needs glasses, which was why she was missing words. So now, I have two students from a later class who will do the reading portion of our play. (They actually are better than the original narrator.)
4. KMart keeps the whistles in the camping section - not in sports, not in party favors. In camping. I guess in case you get lost? (The narrator will blow the whistle to signal the end of the sword fight. Great, huh? I couldn't get the kids to count in their heads, so the whistle is now the signal. Will would have loved it, LOL.)
5. The woman Phys Ed teacher quoted the entire balcony scene to me - from memory! She's funny to begin with - so this had me very impressed, but laughing, because she is Puerto Rican and somehow Shakespearean English with a NewYorican accent just is funny!
6. My blacksmiths finished their swords, and the forge is closed. (And yes, they learned all about being blacksmiths and running a forge. In theory, anyway.)