When my friend JULIEANNCAN began posting blog entries as part of the "Stress Busting Team Challenge", I was intrigued. I learned the team is a 4 week challenge designed to help members gain skills to alleviate unhealthy stress. Yep, sign me up!
The first task was to take SparkPeople's "Stress Test" to measure how high my stress level is. My results were "You have some vulnerability to stress".
The recommendation was to concentrate on changing those items on the test on which I scored a "3" or less. That would be the following:
* Eat one hot, balanced meal one time per day.
* Get 7-8 hours of sleep 4 nights per week.
* Exercise to the point of perspiration 2x/week.
* Earning an income adequate to meet basic expenses.
* Gaining strength from my religious beliefs.
* Regularly attending a club or social activity.
* Having a strong network of friends.
* Having one or more friends to confide in about personal problems.
* Considering myself to be in good health.
* Regularly conversing with people I live with about domestic problems.
* Doing something fun at least 1x per week.
* Organizing my time effectively.
* Drinking fewer than 3 cups of coffee per day.
Whew! No wonder I feel like I've been run over by a train!
Obviously, tackling all these issues at once would be overwhelming. I've decided to focus on:
1) Exercising to the point of perspiration 2x/week (restarting C25K).
2) Doing something fun 1x/week.
I am actually putting these things on the calendar to ensure I do them!
Of course, I'm still looking for a job and trying to get to sleep each night (insomnia has been keeping me awake until 2 or 3 AM), but I think I need to focus on the above two things because they will be easier for me to accomplish.
Now to check out my next task.....