Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.


    KURTORTOISE   9,209
SparkPoints
8,500-9,999 SparkPoints
 
 

Child Intoxicated by Hand Sanitizer


Friday, February 11, 2011

Here's an odd one excerpted from a UK health newsletter that I got in my e-mail:

"Many hand sanitizers have a high alcohol content, which can be a bad mix with children. "
"...a 4-year-old ... became lethargic and incoherent while at school. She was taken to a local hospital emergency room where multiple tests showed nothing wrong. Finally, doctors were informed that she'd been licking hand sanitizer off her hands earlier in the school day."
"A blood alcohol test revealed that she was still intoxicated, six full hours after arriving at the hospital."
"Other similar events have already prompted some schools to discontinue hand sanitizer use or change to alcohol-free products. Use of fragrance-free products is also a good idea because a child might think a sweetly scented dab of hand sanitizer is a treat."
"Please share this warning with friends, family, and school administrators: Hand sanitizer may seem benign, but young children should only use alcohol-free brands and only when administered by an adult. If you wouldn't leave open the liquor cabinet or a bottle of cough syrup, don't give them unfettered access to this potential poison either."

Has anyone else heard of situations like this?
SHARE

Member Comments About This Blog Post:
JULIAMOONCHILD 2/19/2011 2:56PM

    Plain ol' water will do, but if anyone wants to feel like they're being extra cautious, add soap.
Do people ever think about how the immune system works and what makes our immune systems even stronger ...
Hmmm.

Report Inappropriate Comment
2BEHEALTHYAGAIN 2/12/2011 8:08PM

    Actually, I have heard of something similar. As I understand it the alcohol is absorbed through the skin and can build up in the body depending on how much is used. Most people use far more of it than is necessary. When it comes down to it, there's nothing like good ole soap and water!

Report Inappropriate Comment
NANCYRUBIO 2/11/2011 7:14AM

    I haven't ever heard of this. Thanks for warning all mothers of small children. All of us should spread the word.

Report Inappropriate Comment
MRE1956 2/11/2011 7:13AM

    Yikes!

emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
FUTUREHOPE49 2/11/2011 2:51AM

    Gosh I have never heard of anything like that before! I will warn my daughter, but at the moment she makes sure Tiana has baby soap as she is only 2. It certainly something to watch out for. Thank you for sharing!
Ellen UK

Report Inappropriate Comment
NUTRON3 2/11/2011 1:23AM

    Wow, that is a first!

Report Inappropriate Comment
FITANDFIFTY2 2/11/2011 1:21AM

    I have not heard of this at all!!Thank you for sharing!

Report Inappropriate Comment

Add Your Comment to the Blog Post


Log in to post a comment.