Tuesday, February 01, 2011
The Better Sleep Challenge- Week 3 Day 1
Reset your internal clock in one week!
Continue with my sleep tracker or journal I started in week 1 as well as my favorite 2-3 relaxation techniques from last week. In week 3, I'll use what I've learned so far to help establish a consistent bedtime and waking time each day. I should go to bed and wake up at the same time each day, even on the weekends. This will help me to reset my body's internal clock so that I can fall asleep easier and wake up energized every day.
1. Review your sleep journal.
I need nine hours of sleep to be able to thrive each day and feel my best.
Keeping a Sleep Diary:
Keep your notebook and a pen by your bed. Spend a few minutes (before you go to sleep) briefly answering the following questions. Do this each night for the next seven days.
1. What time did you wake up today? 9:00am
2. What time are you lying down to go to sleep? 10:00pm
3. What, if any, was your bedtime routine? Same as week 1
4. What were the last food(s) you consumed tonight? (Include type, amount, and time you ate.) Half of a tuna sandwish on whole wheat, apple and water
5. Did you exercise today? (Include the type, duration, and time of day if you exercised.) No exercise today had nuclear stress test done.
6. Did you consume any alcoholic beverages today? (Include type, number, and time of day.) No don't drink!
7. Did you consume any caffeinated drinks or foods today? (Include type, number, and time of day.) No, water only
8. Did you take any medications (prescription and/or over-the-counter) today? (Include type, amount, and time of day.) same as week 1
9. Did you take any naps today? (Include number of naps, duration of each, and time of day.) no
10. What types of stressors did you encounter today, and what types do you expect to encounter tomorrow? nuclear stress test
11. How hungry did you feel today? (1- Not hungry, 2- Normal hunger, 3- Strong hunger, 4- Extreme hunger) 1
12. How awake did you feel today? (1- Exhausted, 2- Somewhat tired, 3- Fairly alert, 4- Wide awake) 1
13. How irritable did you feel today? (1- Calm, 2- Slightly annoyed, 3- Moderately irritable, 4- Highly irritable) 3
When you wake up, answer the following questions below your "sleep" line:
1. How long did it take you to fall asleep last night? (This may be an estimate.) 15 minutes
2. How many times did you wake up during the night? (Include times you woke up and how long you stayed awake.) 3 times, stayed awake for just a few minutes.
3. In total, how many hours did you sleep last night? 9 hours.
This was just like the same as week 1, same questions. I'm getting there with self control and keeping my sleep diary by my bed. This will help me to look at it each night. I will combat this stress to be better able to relax and fall asleep. I'm making it by one day at a time!