Tuesday, January 18, 2011
I realize I'm more motivated about getting healthy the SP Way now, than I was months ago, and it' because I'm having a Strong Start and feeling good about myself!!
When I first really tried SP back in August of 2010 I kind of played around with SP, however I knew it was what I wanted for myself but just couldn't get going. I'd stick with it for a few days and then eat what I knew wasn't healthy maybe for the rest of the week and still was a couch potato. I did lose 11#s but went on to quickly gain them right back but was too ashamed to change the ticker on my Spark page. Then, a couple of months ago, I decided to re-read the Spark book and really do it right as in the way Chris Downie explains it so well. What a mind changing experience that has been for me. I went all the way back to setting and tracking Fast Break Goals and very soon they became second nature to me. Daily I track my food and almost always manage to stay within my calorie range which wasn't always true. If I do go over I don't "beat" myself up but just get right back on track the next meal. I'm now satisfied with much smaller food portions and if I do overeat I try to analyze what was bothering me as that's usually the reason. I'm now in the Lifestyle Change and feeling more confident and motivated that yes, I can do this, in fact it's even fun--and the bonus is I feel happier than I have in years!
1. I always Track my food intake and have learned to read food labels for nutrition facts.
2. I realize I can have that treat or an occasional cheeseburger, etc. and that no food is off limits that I want as long as I use portion control and include it in my food tracker. Now that I've cut down on my portions I am actually full and satisfied with less food. I no longer crave sweets and salty snacks like I used to. I like the healthy snacks that I always make sure I have. I know it has also helped to not overeat to include these healthy snacks throughout the day. Before, especially when I was working I would usually only have one huge meal a day and that was dinner. I couldn't wait to get home to eat up a storm--and that's one of the main reasons I think I gained 100#s during the last 15 years.
3. Exercise still doesn't come easy to me. But, I do try to get at least 10-15 minutes a day. I love the sit down Dance DVDs that I recently purchased. I do hope to keep increasing my exercise time as I go along. It does feel good to move but it's still not high on my list of fun things to do--but I still do them.
4. I'm cooking more at home, the take-out food stops are almost gone and when I do go to one I almost always get a salad with a low calorie dressing. I love to try new Spark Recipes and I'm really looking forward to getting the new Spark Cookbook they are coming out with soon. I still do alot of slow cooker recipes as that way I don't have to be standing too long, which is still hard for me.
5. I love and appreciate all the support and help I get from Spark and Spark friends. I finally have told my family and some friends about Spark People and my weight loss as I want them to root me on--which they have. I've had a friend and my DIL tell me that my face looks slimmer, which I love to hear as I do have a very full chubby face.
6. I resist the temptation to weigh myself daily and only weigh once a week for a Team Challenge weigh-in. I'm about 1/2 way to my Challenge weight and have another month and a half to go. I put down I wanted to be down to 274# by the middle of March and I'll be thrilled to be in the 270's as it's been quite awhile since I've been that weight.
7. I'm taking better care of myself. I had almost become a slob as didn't care anymore about putting a touch of make-up on but now I want to look nicer on the outside as I feel better when I look better. I still wear shifts around the house but do dress up in nice slacks and tops when I go out. I hardly ever buy any clothes as there isn't too many cute tops or shifts in a 3X but I have purchased some new clothes online so I don't keep wearing the same old things.
8. I am experiencing small success and I know this is Not a diet but a healthy lifestyle so there is no end date. I do have weight goals and I hope to make them but I'm not going to be worried or stress out if I don't as I have lots of time. As they say, it took years to gain all this weight so I have to be patient with myself and my precious body that I have neglected for far too long.
Wishing all of us a Healthy Lifestyle to make us more positive and appreciate and treasure this fantastic body that the one above make for each of us. Have a Wonderful and yes, fun Journey!