What motivates you? Is it the weight loss on the scale or how you feel? Does the weight loss keep you motivated or does how you feel keep you motivated?
I've been reading a lot of articles on motivation to really identify what motivates me and how to keep my motivation level high. Right now, it's high but it's been there before and then I've floundered only to gain weight and have to fight to get my motivation back.
Here is what I've discovered:
1. If I focus on the scale, my motivation is short lived.
2. I lose my motivation when life gets busy.
3. I blame all the external forces in my life for ruining my motivation.
4. I need to see results to feel motivated.
5. I am motivated to take action only when I feel like it.
So, I have a character flaw. I'm sure there are the people out there (who I envy) who don't face these challenge but that is the reality of me. I am a carefree (much more so before having kids!), life-loving (more so since having kids!), WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) kind of person. I would much rather be having fun than working (seriously, am I alone here?). Life is short, we better enjoy it, right?
BUT, that's all great but that's not the reality of life. I must work, I must be responsible, I must do this and that and this and that......AND I really want to be healthier and lose weight.
So here is what I resolve to do:
1. I will use the scale for what it is...a cold piece of metal that tells me at a specific time what I weigh - it will not get any more power than that.
2. I will remain in control when life gets busy...it really isn't hard to make good decisions even when I'm busy - it's just an excuse!
3 I will take responsibility for making the choices I make and not blame anyone else...people aren't really trying to ruin my day or make me fat!
4. I will focus on HOW I feel instead of focusing on only results!
5. I will challenge myself to JUST DO IT by making good food choices, exercising, saying no to seconds, etc. even when I don't feel like it!
So, how do you stay motivated?