What I can do in 16 days!
Thursday, October 14, 2010
So, you know how 'they' say you are supposed to make a goal to work out for 15 mins 3-4 times a week? Well, I read a study that actually advised against that because then it puts an excuse in your head - "Oh, I don't have to today, I'll do it tomorrow." It said that you should make a goal for every day for 30 days. So, here's my plan:
2 hrs work out every day... WHAT? LOL. But really, my youngest takes a 2 hr nap every day, I watch 2 hrs of TV every night... I could easily do an hour cardio and an hour resistance (my physical therapy) everyday - if I make it a priority.
Today I am eating a diet high in fat (though just normal for calories) so that I can replenish the good fats in my brain/body. Then I'm going to go back on my normal high protein, high vegetable diet. I'm going to make my meals like I make for my kids - in bento boxes! Sticking with ½ the box in veggies, ¼ for protein and ¼ for carbs - and soup on the side! PLUS the 2 hrs (really?) work out every day until our Halloween Party (on the 30th)...
It's only 16 days... I can stick to something for 16 days. I'm not going to hit my goals in 16 days but I can lose inches and it will set me down the right track.
Let's see... what else have I been through in more than 16 days that was super hard?
• Alone in Belize. I went to Belize when I was 19 and was there completely alone until my friends showed up a couple weeks later.
• Completely raw. I did the completely raw-vegan diet for a whole month once. Yeah, it's great for some but it was killer for me. 30 whole days with 100% dedication.
• Rehab. I went through rehab for 30 days, all freakin' day and then twice a week for 6 months after. So that was like 78 days.
• Bedrest. The amount of bedrest I have done in my life (three pregnancies plus an injury) is about 41 weeks or 287 days - 30 of those days were in the hospital too.
• School. I got my AA degree last year. That was 90 credit hours so 72 weeks in school or 360 school days.
• Living life without my daughter. It's been 2,272 days since I last got to hold my baby.
Yeah, if I can do all those things - I can stick to a work out and diet plan with NO cheating.
These may be lofty work out goals but I figure - if I shoot for the moon and miss, I'll land among the stars, right? So, if I can't do 2 hrs - maybe I did one hour instead - that's still awesome! If I had a goal of 15 minutes though? That 15 minutes is very easy to just shrug off. And yes, leg-lifts while watching TV totally counts!