Press On toward Your Goal

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

On Saturday October 2,2010. I did something I never thought I could do I walked a 5 K Race. A few months ago, my DH's (Dear Hubby) niece asked me if I would walk in a 5K Race in honor of her dad (I'll just call him D). Her father, prior to being diagnosed with cancer, has always been very close with my son. He has taught him to hunt and fish. My son adores and looks up to this man. When he got sick with cancer, it devastated this family, and my son. So because of everything her father has done I felt I should at least try to do the walk. I didn't think I would be able to physically do it but I gratefully accepted.

I got up early on race day and DH and I set out to embark on a new journey. I was thinking about my father who passed away June 2,2010 and my grandmother who passed July 28, 2010. I have lost 2 people I love to a disease that is trying ever so hard to destroy the life of a man who has been nothing but wonderful to my son since my marriage into the family.

We arrived donning our blue "family" t-shirts. I was really surprised to see "D" there. As the race time neared I felt terrible for thinking that I couldn't physically walk the race, knowing that "D" was going to walk I was determined to not just walk but finish. Line up time came, and the horn sounded. I began walking with my DH. I am only 5'4" tall so my DH has a longer stride than I do. After about 1/4 mile I told him not to let me hold him back. He started to walk off and leave me behind. With every step, my legs burned, my calves hurt and my breathing got worse, but I kept trying to catch up to my DH ( who was putting more and more distance between us). Although there were many people walking for the first time in my life I felt truly alone. I began to become emotional as we approached the first turn around and I could see my DH heading toward me,( He is a diabetic and refuses to exercise). I was very proud of him. As I made my way around I eventually saw "D" heading toward me, I started to feel warm tears slowly trickling down my cheeks. I was hurting all over by this point and I really wanted to give up, but I pressed on. As "D" and his wife and grandson passed us I told him We loved him and we were proud of him. That was it I was determined to finish! Just as I got to the cross road where I thought I was more than half way done I realized that I had to turn right (not left back towards the finish as I had expected), I felt a wealth of emotions building up on the inside, I couldn't finish this race, my legs were numb and I couldn't feel them my whole body was hurting and throbbing but I pressed on. I began praying with every couple of steps, " I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." I kept walking and praying. I looked up to see my DH walking toward me. I knew we were almost done! I can do this I thought. so after making the final turn around I kept moving and I began to get faster and faster. I was using every muscle in my body and speed walking toward the finish line. I have never walked so fast in my life, my feet were going, my legs were going, my arms were going and my heart rate was pounding in my chest.

As I caught a glimpse of the finish line I could only see my DH standing there waiting for me on the other side. As I crossed the finish line I felt like I had never felt before. Even though my dad and my grandmas names weren't on the shirt I had 3 very special people on my mind throughout the race. They announced my name as I crossed the finish line and I threw my arms around my DH and my body was finished. I had to lay on my back on the pavement because I was in so much pain, but emotionally I felt like I was on top of the world. I knew that my desire was to finish this race and with the help of Jesus, my memories of the loved ones I lost, and knowing that "D" was not quitting, I was able to accomplish a task that I thought was impossible. My Jesus and my family was there to support me in the roughest physical thing I have ever had to endure. One by one other family members came across the line, and we were there waiting for them. We spent some time talking and eating together then we left to go to the local high school football game.

I told everyone about the 5K. I was sore but excited.Every bone and muscle in my body hurt on Sunday. I could barely move. But I went to church and felt good because I had pressed on. Then Sunday afternoon, I played basketball with my son and his coaches at the gym for 2 hours.

I have been trying to lose weight since Oct of 2008, with very little success.

My college worked out a program with the local fitness center, so students can work out for free. I went a few times but then never went back. My son decided he wanted to go to the gym with me on Monday morning before school. So we got up at 5 am and went and worked out. I felt good but still was hurting from the past few days events. Just as we were leaving, I remembered there was a scale in the ladies locker room. So of course, I went back to the locker room to see where I was on my weight. I had been 232 pounds in Oct of 2008, at my physical for college in Aug of 2010 I had surprisingly made it down to 203. I hadn't been eating properly or exercising the way I should so I didn't expect to see any significant change. To my surprise I was at 194. 38 pounds closer to my goal and under 200 pounds. God is good ALL the time, and ALL the time God is good. I have decided to walk another 5k race on Oct 23, 2010 and I know that I can do it by pressing on.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • BRENDA76
    Good for you!!!!


    You'll do great on your next 5k!

    2695 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.